facebook

Is it possible to install the MyEclipse Plugins into Europa?

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

adamwork

Our company has decided to use Europa as their IDE but unfortunately not MyEclipse even though the latest is built upon the Europa platform.

I have MyEclipse and want to continue to use it but when I use MyEclipse it adds certain MyEclipse specific property files that Europa does not use. It may have to do with the fact that MyEclipse is using extensions to manage all of the pluggins.

Regardless, when I open a project with Europa that has been created by MyEclipse I get an error messages that indicate that its looking for certain things that it does not have.

I would very much like to use the MyEclipse pluggins and do my work with Europa. Is it possible to add all of the MyEclipse pluggins into Europa so that I can use Europa without making the project files a MyEclipse project.

If so are there any instructions?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Adam

#274451 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Adam,
    I’m sorry to hear your company has decided to pass up MyEclipse.

As to your question, adding all the “MyEclipse plugins to Europa” simply re-creates the MyEclipse install… so there isn’t a way to add these plugins without it really just installing MyEclipse. MyEclipse’s editors, designers, GUI developers, etc. all make use of the project files and property files that you are seeing get created.

One option for your team is to simply have the developers that are using MyEclipse mark all the MyEclipse-specific resources as “ignored” for CVS and not check them in, that way the Europa-specific projects are in source control, but all the folks using MyEclipse can keep using it.

I’ve seen this done a lot for companies that use many different IDEs (MyEclipse, IntelliJ, NetBeans) so the folks just don’t check in project files to CVS and CVS contains the “pure” project.

#274469 Reply

adamwork

Riyad,

I’m still trying to convence my company that MyEclipse is the best path. I think that MyEclipse is the best IDE for rapid development bar none.

But until I can convence them I need to generalize the project so that anyone can open it up using Europa. Is there a list of the MyEclipse-specific files that I can mark as ignore?

Thanks

Adam

#274473 Reply

Riyad Kalla

I’m still trying to convence my company that MyEclipse is the best path. I think that MyEclipse is the best IDE for rapid development bar none.

Adam we really appreciate you pushing for MyEclipse adoption.

But until I can convence them I need to generalize the project so that anyone can open it up using Europa. Is there a list of the MyEclipse-specific files that I can mark as ignore?

Totally understandable. Well MyEclipse *will* change the .project file to add custom builders and natures which Europa won’t understand… those are most likely the errors you are seeing with straight Europa. The only thing I could think to do is once the MyEclipse users have checked out the Europa project, mark the .project file and .classpath files as ignored. Again, because if you use MyEclispe capabilities, custom Library references will get added to .classpath that won’t resolve for the Europa folks.

From there, when you do a commit, if you notice new dot files (.mymetadata, .myhibernatedata, .mystrutsdata, etc.) you can ignore those as they are from MyEclipse. BUT adding them is harmless as Europa will simply ignore them (doesn’t know what they are). It’s just the cross-use of .project/.classpath that you will need to handle.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Is it possible to install the MyEclipse Plugins into Europa?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in