facebook

JBoss Web Application reload problems when using MyEclipse

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I’m doing development using struts and JBoss. I’d like a quick way to have jboss reload an application when I make changes to, for instance, the struts-config.xml configuration file.

JBoss normally supports this simply by ‘touching’ (updating the timestamp) the WEB-INF/web.xml file in the exploded deployment. However, if I do this with a MyEclipse-deployed application, I get an error — “org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP” — for any further requests which try to load JSPs. Restarting JBoss fixes this.

It’s interesting, however, that if I take the MyEclipse deployed archive and make a full copy (by jar-ing and unjar-ing, for instance) to a different directory, I no longer have this problem, and can reload repeatedly.

I’ve tried this both with and without the Window|Preferences|MyEclipse|Editors|JSP/HTML Editor|Don’t Compile JSP’s flag selected. (Figuring that it might interefere with JBoss’s ability to compile them?)

Is there any way to fix this, or another way (short of stopping and re-starting the application server) to fully reload the web application quickly?

I’m running Eclipse 3.0 M4 / MyEclipse 3.6.3 on Windows XP SP1+ with JBoss 3.2.2. Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2-b28)

#199770 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

Are you manually touching the deployed web.xml file, i.e., the file on your JBoss server?

Assuming you are using exploded deployment try this: from within your MyEclipse web project touch the web.xml file (add/remove a space) and then save it. The deployer will copy the web.xml file to the JBoss deployment area, effectively touching the file on the server and forcing a reload.

Let me know if this resolves the problem or not. We have a feature planned to perform application reloading on the server rather than the heavy redeploy operation.

Michael
    MyEclipse Support

#199772 Reply

@support wrote:

Are you manually touching the deployed web.xml file, i.e., the file on your JBoss server?

Yeah. I was using a unix utils for window ‘touch’ command. But I also tried just editing it with notepad.

@support wrote:

Assuming you are using exploded deployment try this: from within your MyEclipse web project touch the web.xml file (add/remove a space) and then save it. The deployer will copy the web.xml file to the JBoss deployment area, effectively touching the file on the server and forcing a reload.

This (editing the web.xml in eclipse) exhibits the same behavior mentioned above: “Unable to compile class for JSP”. It does cause JBoss to reload the application.

@support wrote:

Let me know if this resolves the problem or not. We have a feature planned to perform application reloading on the server rather than the heavy redeploy operation.

I’m looking forward to it. The ‘heavy redeploy’ operation doesn’t normally work for me because the server still has the jars in the WEB-INF/lib directory open, and thus the redeploy fails without stopping the app server first. Restarting the app server makes the redeploy operation unnecessary.

Thanks for your help,

-Stefan

#199773 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

I’m not sure why JBoss will not compile JSP’s following a reload operation. I ran a few tests earlier and it worked as expected. Is there anything about your app that you can think of that is causing problems? Also can you send me your app or a dumbed down version to test with. One of my responsibilities is developing test cases. My email is support@genuitec.com.

Michael
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: JBoss Web Application reload problems when using MyEclipse

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in