facebook

Jobs on iPhone: No Java For You…

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Off Topic
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

David Orriss Jr
    Participant

http://www.javalobby.org/java/forums/t88464.html

“Java’s not worth building in [to the phone]. Nobody uses Java anymore. It’s this big heavyweight ball and chain.”

First.. let me say that I’m not going to get an iPhone. I use T-Mobile (for various reasons <g>) and iPhone will be on Cinglar (arguably the worst network in the nation – but I digress). Even then for him to say this just continues to show that the Culture of Arrogance has settled back in at Apple. I don’t think I’d go so far as to say that the iPhone will go the way of the Newton – but this type of attitude is going to hurt the phone as a platform for software developers. Considering is Java comments and the fact that there will be NO SDK for the OS that’s used by the phone – I’d say it’s pretty much a dead product going out the door.

It’s a shame too…. Looks like it’d be a nice product (other than it’s not on T-Mobile of course <g>).

#264816 Reply

Riyad Kalla

First.. let me say that I’m not going to get an iPhone. I use T-Mobile (for various reasons <g>) and iPhone will be on Cinglar (arguably the worst network in the nation – but I digress).

Ditto

Even then for him to say this just continues to show that the Culture of Arrogance has settled back in at Apple.

A few folks in that JL thread mentioned that it was related to the open-sourcing of J2ME that Jobs didn’t want to play to… not sure how the licensing plays into this, that’s for lawyers to figure out.

It’s a shame too…. Looks like it’d be a nice product

It certainly does. But revision 3 (when the battery life is more than 4hrs) I think it will be quite nice. I bought a first-gen MacBook Pro, and after eating $1k to sell it 2 months later I’ve learned that first-gen ANYTHING (no matter who makes it) is never a good idea to jump on immediately.

Also Nokia and a few others are showing off some concept phones… and honestly from looking at these things, it seems that everyone had “awesome” new phones they were holding back until this year for some reason… I have no idea why it took so long.

Anyway, if you are a gadget guy, 2007 will be a great year.

#265221 Reply

David Orriss Jr
    Participant

@support-rkalla wrote:

Even then for him to say this just continues to show that the Culture of Arrogance has settled back in at Apple.

A few folks in that JL thread mentioned that it was related to the open-sourcing of J2ME that Jobs didn’t want to play to… not sure how the licensing plays into this, that’s for lawyers to figure out.

Well, he called Java a ball and chain.. and said “No one writes in Java any more”… I guess he means that ‘No one writes in Java anymore on the Mac because the Mac support is so damn awful’.

@support-rkalla wrote:

It’s a shame too…. Looks like it’d be a nice product

It certainly does. But revision 3 (when the battery life is more than 4hrs) I think it will be quite nice. I bought a first-gen MacBook Pro, and after eating $1k to sell it 2 months later I’ve learned that first-gen ANYTHING (no matter who makes it) is never a good idea to jump on immediately.

Yea I supposed that’s true. And your story on the battery life makes me VERY glad I didn’t buy into the Mac.. As much as I like the user experience on the Mac… :-/

@support-rkalla wrote:

Also Nokia and a few others are showing off some concept phones… and honestly from looking at these things, it seems that everyone had “awesome” new phones they were holding back until this year for some reason… I have no idea why it took so long.

Anyway, if you are a gadget guy, 2007 will be a great year.

I think it was because vendors and the tel-cos were working more on providing updates features and network support for *existing* phones. For example – T-Mobile and MyFaves and their “Bubbles”.. 😉

2006 ended on a good note tho. I got both the Wii and the PS3. And yea it’s true there aren’t many titles out for the PS3 but the ones that are out (like Resistance:Fall of Man) look amazing. But the end result is that 2007 will be – like you said – a good year for gadget guys.. 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Jobs on iPhone: No Java For You…

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in