facebook

JPA reverse engineering issue

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

sliderrr

I don’t really know if this is a bug or working as intended, mybe someone can explain this behavior:

If I generate the entity classes with the JPA Reverse Engineering tools form a postgresql database it generates two files, one “default” class named like the table with an embedded id and one Id class with the actual table contents.
    Example:
    Database:

CREATE TABLE customer
    (
      email character varying NOT NULL,
      prefix character varying NOT NULL,
      firstname character varying(30),
      lastname character varying(30),
    )

Some index-fields, but pretty much a plain table.

Now the class looks like this:

customer.java:

@Entity
    @Table(name = "customer", schema = "public", uniqueConstraints = @UniqueConstraint(columnNames = "id"))
    public class Customer implements java.io.Serializable {

// Fields

private CustomerId id;
        // Property accessors
        @EmbeddedId
        @AttributeOverrides( {
                @AttributeOverride(name = "id", column = @Column(name = "id", unique = true, nullable = false)),
                @AttributeOverride(name = "firstname", column = @Column(firstname = "firstname", nullable = false)),

customerid.java

@Embeddable
    public class CustomerId implements java.io.Serializable {

// Fields

private Integer id;
        private String firstname;

Is there a specific reason for that (splitting into two files with EmbeddedId) or am I missing something else?

Thanks in advance.

#289021 Reply

Brian Fernandes

sliderrr,

Yes, this is working as expected. This is because you have a composite primary key (a primary key with more than one column). In such cases the tooling will generate a separate entity for all columns in the primary key and “embed” that key into the primary entity.

This makes it easier for you to reference a particular customer in relationships using a single CustomerId class.

Hope this helps

#289053 Reply

sliderrr

The tool was actually working correctly, the problem was in my case that the primary key was just a id-column with an unique constraint. The values were generated from a nextval-sequence table which caused the tool to compose the id from all columns becaus I could recognize the id.

Thanks for the help 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: JPA reverse engineering issue

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in