facebook

JSP editor support for non-standard html? [Enhancement]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi,

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere – please feel free to refer me to other docs.

I just bought MyEclipse, and it looks good. However, we use many nonstandard, IE-specific HTML attributes in our JSPs.

Is there any way to get the JSP compiler/editor to not flag these as errors? I wouldn’t mind defining them manually, if I knew where…

Thanks,
    Chad

#202798 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Chad,
    The only way to do this is to turn off the JSP validation, but then you loose all validation. People have asked that we support non standard tags in the past, but we can’t. For the health of the product and users we can only adhere to the HTML standards and not create special case solutions. What if the special tags between IE 5 and 6 are different? What if the special tags between Netscape 4, 6 and 7 are different? What if opera doesn’t support them and Konqueror crashes with them? etc. etc.

The other problem with supporting tags of this nature is that we can’t keep up with them. Every version is different, every browser is different; it would create too much work on our end to make everyone happy and probably end up making no one happy, as the person that wants strict HTML asks us to remove support for non standard tags 🙂

#202820 Reply

@support-rkalla wrote:

Chad,
    For the health of the product and users we can only adhere to the HTML standards and not create special case solutions.

Thanks for the response. I understand that you could not provide hardcoded support for every possible situation.

However, it does seem possible to allow the user to configure a set of tags/attributes which would be “allowable”. This would put the responsibility on the user to configure it as they liked. I’m not sure how the validation logic works for the JSPs/HTML, but it could even be a simple list of “global allowed” attributes, which would be valid for any tag. Not an ideal solution, but that seems easy enough to implement, and an improvement over the current situation.

What is the particular plugin which is responsible for this parsing? I’d be interested to take a look at how the validation is implemented.

Anyway, thanks again for the response.

— Chad

#202822 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Chad, that’s not a bad idea, especially when thinking of a framework like Tapestry that deals with custom attributes to tag things as components. I’ll send this on up the chain and see what happens.

#202824 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

I kicked this over to development to evaluate the implementation complexity and contrast with other enhancement requests.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: JSP editor support for non-standard html? [Enhancement]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in