facebook

Macintosh: Pulse Install Directory creates application name

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Glen Ihrig

MyEclipse for Spring 9.0
    – MyEclipse for Spring 9.0 selected from Pulse Explorer, also seen with Mac OS X MyEclipse for Spring 9.0 Custom Installer
    Mac OS X 10.5.8

While installing MyEclipse for Spring 9.0, I encountered an annoying error, with a simple workaround.

== Installed from Pulse Explorer
    – Explore: Eclipse 3.6 – Helios > MyEclipse for Spring 9 (under Popular profiles).
    – Install This Profile > Install Now (no options selected).
    – Changed “Pulse Install Directory” to: /Applications/Development/DevelopmentFolders/MyEclipse for Spring 9.0.
    – Install folder did not exist
    – Left Common Library location at default: /Library/Genuitec/Common

The application “MyEclipse for Spring 9.0.app” was installed in ../DevelopmentFolders/ (one level higher than expected).

I tried placing a slash at the end the Pulse Install Directory (../DevelopmentFolders/MyEclipse for Spring 9.0/), this created the application in the expected directory, but with a name of “.app”.

The “error” seems to be that Pulse is using the final segment of the “Pulse Install Directory” as the application name.

When I modified the Pulse Install Path accordingly, the install location was as expected:

Pulse Install Location: /Applications/Development/DevelopmentFolders/MyEclipse for Spring 9.0/MyEclipse for Spring 9.0
    Creates: /Applications/Development/DevelopmentFolders/MyEclipse for Spring 9.0/MyEclipse for Spring 9.0.app

Best regards,

-Glen

#315856 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Glen,

Thanks for providing such great detail in what you’re seeing as it made it really easy for me to determine what’s going on here.

Basically, the installers are doing exactly what we expect them to do but we’re failing a bit on the “what some users expect” side of things. The issue is simply that on a Mac, every application (*.app file) is actually just a directory. You can see what is inside any application by simply right clicking on it and selecting “Show Package Contents” from the context menu. When you realize that, you see that on a Mac when you’re asked to pick a location for the install the final segment is simply the name of the .app directory created.

So, while there isn’t really a problem with the installers on Mac, you do bring up an interesting point regarding “user expectations” that we’ll do some thinking about how to address in our future work.

Thanks for the feedback and please let us know if you run into any other issues.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Macintosh: Pulse Install Directory creates application name

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in