facebook

Multi-byte character display in sqlexplorer result sets

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

jsmyth1969

Hi,

On my PC (encoding=en_GB) I connect to a solaris box (japanese) running oracle 9i with encoding ja16euc.

For both thin (jdbc) and thick (oci) connections I get resultsets back from the db where multi-byte chars are not displayed correctly. AFAIK thin client will not do multi-byte, but OCI client should default to utf-8 encoding…Any ideasa about this?

Also, when do the db connection settings get saved? My eclipse has just crashed (jvm exit) as I attempted to use a DB connection that was no longer available, and when I restarted, I found that my connection settings have disappeared. I created the connection profile yesterday but have not exited myeclipse since then.

thanks
    jim

#222754 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Jim I am checking on this for you.

#222759 Reply

jsmyth1969

Thanks Riyad,

I forgot to mention my config. It is the eclipse 3.0.1 with the latest myeclipse install (installed yesterday when I saw the new sqlexplorer feature!)

I have also tried to set my registry NLS_LANG setting to match the DB encoding (ja16euc) but this does not make any difference.

I have another charset issue with the struts xml editor. In design mode is does not display mutlibyte chars correctly (although in source mode they display fine). Should I ask this question on another forum or include it here?

thanks again
    jim

#222760 Reply

jsmyth1969

>I have another charset issue with the struts xml editor
    This should read ‘I have another charset issue with the myeclipse xml editor’, but im sure you will have guessed 🙂

rgds
    jim

#222797 Reply

support-jeff

There are known issues with the OCI driver (or I should say type-2 drivers) in DE, this sounds like a new one. You should check with an Oracle DBA first if you have a spare one available, as I am no Oracle expert and I have no ability at this time to test with OCI driver.

As for the connection profile problem, the profiles are saved on eclipse shutdown – since they are saved with plugin state in the .metadata/.plugin directories, saving is triggered by plugin shutdown.

As for the ME XML editor charset issue – I would post the question under the General Application forum.

#224640 Reply

jsmyth1969

Well,

took me a while to get back to you on this (project madness) but after a while I realised that
    1. my PC was no longer set up for japanese char set input
    2. the NLS_LANG registry setting had decided to switch itself back to ISO8859P1

Fixing these two meant I can now fully browse the DB – and it is a huge help. This really is a great part of myeclipse. Would be more exellent if ctrl-enter would execute the current sql/the current highlighted sql – but thats another topic Im sure.

rgds
    jim

#224657 Reply

support-jeff

Would be more exellent if ctrl-enter would execute the current sql/the current highlighted sql

Try CTL-F9. That’ll do what you want. And thanx for the kind words of praise. I live off of it; kind of a “prestige” vampire 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Multi-byte character display in sqlexplorer result sets

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in