facebook

myEclipse 3.82 JSP editor questions [Closed]

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

yukster

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! What happened to the JSP Editor?

I upgraded to version 3.82 with eclipse 3.01 and the JSP Editor is nearly useless. Well, it’ll be great at the next disco party I have… when I start typing in a JSP file the rest of the file gets the red error underline and flickers madly. Half the time, it gets stuck with the bulk of the file underlined, even when I have finished typing and there are no errors.

I also get yellow warning underlines and yellow marks all down the side of the editor telling me that my html isn’t well-formed… I know it’s not well formed cuz I’m using a template and all my other JSPs are just content that goes in the template. So, it’s right… but I can’t turn it off. I’ve disabled everything to do with validation I can find in the prefs and it doesn’t have any effect. Oh, and when I save a file, the yellow boxes down the side of the editor strobe like one of those construction “arrow” signs… it often goes on long enough that I have to just close the file.

Content assist in scriptllets is also very flaky… most of the time it won’t pop up or takes a loooonngg time. I will say one thing though… at least the most annoying bug from the last version is gone. That was that, when I’d type “<%”, I’d get the most tenacious content assist… couldn’t type anything other than another “%”, or it would give me the first entry from the content popup… “_jspxFactory” I think. But well, that bug is gone, but it’s unfortunately been replaced by others.

I also have a JSP that is compiling and serving fine, but the JSP editor insists that there’s an error on one line… and the message has nothing to do with anything nearby. It’s something like, “; found, { expected”, which is a compile error, but like I say the page compiles and serves so it’s obviously not a real error. Oh, and the red underline is under just the letter “i” in an “input” html tag.

Going back and looking through stuff again, it seems that the editor is much less spastic in a JSP that’s a complete html file, rather than a fragment. So, maybe, if I could just shut off the html validation, things wouldn’t be so bad. I’ll feel pretty silly if there’s just a preferences setting that I missed… but, not as bad as I’d feel going on with this spastic editor!

Thanks,

Ben

#217726 Reply

Patryn

Welcome in the club 🙂

#217755 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Ben,

Basically, the JSP editor has now been enhanced to support realtime annotations and quickdiff, just like the Java Editor. However, if you’re finding the new features problematic, I believe the preference settings you’re looking for are at Window > Preferences > Workbench > Editors > Annotations and turning off all the MyEclipse annotations. Also, turning off QuickDiff might also be beneficial since I can’t tell specifically which is causing you the most pain, given your description.

#217826 Reply

yukster

I tried turning off all annotations and quick diffs on the MyEclipse entries in the preferences (under “editors > annotations”). It turned off all error highlighting in regular Java files (!?), but the warning/error underlines and margin marks won’t budge.

Hmm, actually… well, this is down right bizarre. I just opened the JSP file with the most problems again, and all the underlines and margin marks are gone! (I’d opened and closed it several times already, with no change.) But the real kicker is that I then opened the preferences and realized I had turned most of the annotations back on… but now they don’t do anything!?

Oh goody… I just type random text in a java block of this file and saved it… not a peep… no errors, no nothing.

Sigh.

On a positive note, however, I did just notice that the javadoc popups and F3 to open a declaration now work on java stuff in JSPs… pretty cool.

Ben

PS: well, after screwing around with various preferences combinations (which I don’t really remember exactly), I seem to have found the right setup to flag errors in JSPs on save (with the red “x” circle on the left margin), but not put all the underlines and right margin marks in… hopefully it’ll stay that way. I have a strong suspicion that some preferences settings can block other changes in preferences from having an effect… if you change the blockers and then change them back, the setting that was blocked takes effect. That’s the only thing I can think of to explain this behavior.

#218432 Reply

Milind Rao

It’s been over two months now. Can’t we get a quick fix on this? This is really annoying. I don’t want to turn off Annotations on the Java Editor just to get rid of the problem in the JSP Editor. Can’t you add a prefernce on the JSP Editor to turn off annotations?

#218447 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Milind,

It’s been over two months now. Can’t we get a quick fix on this? This is really annoying.

I would encourage you to always post when you run into problems to help us track down potential bugs, if you stay quiet and just wait, there is the possibility that we *think* everything is working because no one is posting in this thread.

I don’t want to turn off Annotations on the Java Editor just to get rid of the problem in the JSP Editor. Can’t you add a prefernce on the JSP Editor to turn off annotations?

That is what Scott asked Ben to do, it is already there: Window > Prefs > Workbench > Editors > Annotations, turn off all the “MyEclipse XXXXX” annotations, about 4 of them.

#218469 Reply

yukster

Unfortunately, the JSP editor’s problems are not really solved so simply. Also unfortunately, I can’t be specific enough about problems and causes. You’ve got some great non-deterministic behavior going on here.

For several days last week, the JSP editor stopped flagging any errors. I could type gobbledeegook in the middle of a JSP and save it, without so much as a peep from the editor. During that time — and annoyingly enough it during a deadline crunch time — I wasn’t finding errors until I tried to load the page. I guess it’s kind of a backhanded testament to the JSP editor that it was very frustrating to use the server/browser to find my compile errors.

Also, the annotations being blocked in MyEclipse seems to affect other views sometimes… I can’t point to a specific instance, but that’s another weird occurence that I’m fairly certain I saw.

On the other hand, the JSP editor started flagging errors again (after the deadline was passed… MyEclipse was probably being nervous for me…) and I don’t have the crazy flickering annotations at the moment… so, things are working pretty well right now.

Oh, except for the disaster that the html formatter wreaked on my html file… mixture of upper/lower tags, took out closing “/”s, put “%20″s in my javascript hrefs, etc. And there doesn’t seem to be a place in the prefs to set this behavior.

#218479 Reply

Riyad Kalla

yukster,
    The JSP validator does two things:
    1) Runs Jasper2 to compile the JSP -> Servlet
    2) Runs javac.exe to compile the Servlet

If you do not have javac.exe in your System PATH OR do not start Eclipse using the -vm argument pointing it at a valid JDK on your system, that will explain why you are not seeing validation (LEFT MARGIN) errors. If you check your log you likely see exceptions like “Cannot create process javac.exe …”. Also you might want to make sure that you are opening your JSP pages with our JSP editor and not accidentaly using the XML Editor as a few users have done in the past and made them crazy.

#218502 Reply

Milind Rao

That is what Scott asked Ben to do, it is already there: Window > Prefs > Workbench > Editors > Annotations, turn off all the “MyEclipse XXXXX” annotations, about 4 of them.

Oh. I didn’t see that there were MyEclipse specific annotations in the list. That worked like a charm! I should have posted earlier :D. Thanks.

#218509 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Glad its working now.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: myEclipse 3.82 JSP editor questions [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in