facebook

MyEclipse disappeared from Eclipse [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

monocongo

I shut down MyEclipse since it was taking up a huge amount of memory, and when I launched it again I only got vanilla Eclipse. I can see that the MyEclipse plugins are still located under C:\Program Files\MyEclipse\eclipse\plugins, but Eclipse doesn’t seem to be able to find them.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to get MyEclipse back ?

I am using Eclipse 3.0.1 and MyEclipse 3.8.2 on a Windows XP machine.

Thanks in advance.

–James

#217184 Reply

Riyad Kalla

James,
    First lets make sure MyEclipse is gone… navigate to Help > Software Updates > Manage Configs, do you see MyEclipse there? If not, right click > Add, and point it at C:\Program Files\MyEclipse, and hit OK, then restart. You should be all set.

#217192 Reply

monocongo

I checked and MyEclipse is gone. I was unable to right click and Add in the Product Configuration window, but I was able to right click > New > Extension Location. When I tried adding the location C:\Program Files\MyEclipse I got an error message telling me that the selected location doesn’t contain a product extension, that there should be an eclipse folder and a marker file called .eclipseextension. The marker file was indeed absent. I created this file using bash (touch .eclipseextension), and this allowed me to go ahead with adding the configuration location. I then restarted the Workbench but no MyEclipse. Now I have the Extension Location C:\Program Files\MyEclipse\eclipse showing up in the Product Configuration window with no extensions and I can’t remove it.

Should I just reinstall MyEclipse ?

–James

#217195 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Yes… it sounds like something got borked along the way here… are you using cygwin under windows or something? (reference to Bash). I’m not sure of the ramifications of installing/using E or ME under cygwin…

#217198 Reply

monocongo

I have reinstalled MyEclipse and still it doesn’t show up when I start MyEclipse – I just get plain Eclipse.

The Configuration Location C:\Program Files\MyEclipse in the Product Configuration window shows MyEclipse Workbench but with a red X, and no matter how many times I enable it and restart the Workbench I never get MyEclipse added, and hence can’t get a MyEclipse perspective, MyEclipse XML editors, etc.

Will I have to reinstall both Eclipse and MyEclipse to get me out of this mess ? What can I do to keep this from happening to me again ?

–James

#217200 Reply

monocongo

Yes I am using Cygwin for a bash shell in order to telnet and ftp into UNIX boxes and run some JAR commands, but other than that I am using only Windows programs on my local machine, and I never muck with the C:/eclipse directory using Cygwin/bash. I am starting MyEclipse from the Windows XP desktop (or start menu).

–James

#217201 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Lets do this:
    1) Shut down Eclipse
    2) Go erase the <Eclipse dir>\configuration directory
    3) Start Eclipse, it should be plain old Eclipse
    4) Go to Help > Soft Updates > Manage Configs, then add the MyEclipse extension and restart

Did it work?

#217242 Reply

monocongo

This did solve my problem. I didn’t even need to add the MyEclipse extension as it was already enabled.

Thanks so much for the prompt and helpful support.

–James

#217251 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Hey I’m glad it worked.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: MyEclipse disappeared from Eclipse [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in