facebook

MyEclipse no longer pushing files to webapp

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Cal Holman
    Participant

MyEclipse is no longer pushing files when they are updated to the webapp directory. I have the app set up with a MyEclipse deployment and if i redelopy all the files are copied to the correct location – but if i go back and edit a class or jsp the file is not copied. This was working – i have not changed my webapp directory or context between working and not working – any ideas? Thanks

Tomcat 5.0.16
    Eclipse 2.1.2
    MyEclipse 2.6.4
    JDK 1.4

#200524 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

The most common cause of this is that the preference setting at “Window > Preferences > Workbench > Perform build automatically on resource modification” has been turned off. Strangely, I’ve even seen it where this occurs “mysteriously”. Since the deployer relies on being called by the Eclipse build system, this setting must be enabled for Sync-on-demand to function properly.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#200526 Reply

Cal Holman
    Participant

Scott>> That was it thanks for the quick reply.

#200898 Reply

Paul
    Participant

Scott,

I have the same symptoms ocasionally as well, though I just checked the workbench setting you suggested, and it was still checked to redeploy automatically. Tonight I had a Struts action I was trying to have recompiled, and nothing was working. I forced a rebuild, shutdown/started tomcat a few times via the built in utilties with myecilpse, shut down eclipse and restarted, again with the same symptoms. I even logged out of my workstation account I use in Linux, and back in, with no luck. I finally made some additional changes to the Action, adding another System.err.println() statement, started tomcat, and it finally got that plus my prior changes as well.

I run on Linux, Tomcat 4.1.24, Eclipse 2.1.2, MyEclipse 2.6.4.

This isn’t a show stopper for me, but it does sometimes cause me to hunt down “unfixed” bugs, which in fact is my setup not recognizing the fixes.

Thanks again, Paul

p.s. Your recent struts developments have me checking back almost every day for more news/info – can’t wait 🙂

#200935 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Paul,

When you made the change, did you open the file in the Tomcat installation directory that should’ve been resync’d? What I’m trying to get to is whether the file was updated, but the server didn’t reload it, or if the file was never copied to the deployment directory properly.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#200948 Reply

Riyad Kalla

hu… I actually didn’t know ME had this feature, I just changed my docBase in my Tomcat to point to my dev dir. I’ll check this out!

#200949 Reply

Paul
    Participant

@scott wrote:

When you made the change, did you open the file in the Tomcat installation directory that should’ve been resync’d? What I’m trying to get to is whether the file was updated, but the server didn’t reload it, or if the file was never copied to the deployment directory properly.

Scott,

If you’re asking did I open the file as it sits locally under the webapps directory in Tomcat, the answer is No. I’ve only edited these files as they sit in my project under Eclipse, and only through Eclipse.

When this happens again (seems to be random, once a week or so), is there an easy way for me to ascertain which of the two possibilities is taking place? Compare the timestamps of the local file under Tomcat vs. what’s in the project structure?

Thanks, Paul

#200956 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

is there an easy way for me to ascertain which of the two possibilities is taking place? Compare the timestamps of the local file under Tomcat vs. what’s in the project structure?

Timestamps are OK, but I prefer opening the deployed file in an external editor. You can find it quickly from the Deployments dialog by selecting the deployment line and clicking the ‘View’ button (or something like that :-).

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#201058 Reply

Paul
    Participant

The next time I notice this happening, I’ll do that. Thanks.

#201320 Reply

Paul
    Participant

It happened again, though this time it was a JSP and not an Action giving me the problem.

This was on the 22nd, but having not having spent any time on this since then, just finally worked around it. On the 22nd I saved changes to this JSP file at 9:14pm. Noticing that changes were not being made though on the server while testing, I tracked down the deployed JSP, and it’s timestamp was from 12:57pm, earlier that day.

Things I attempted to force a refresh:
    – shutdown then restarted tomcat with the built in myeclipse app server module
    – right-clicked on project heading, and chose to rebuild all JSPs
    – shutdown & restarted eclipse, started tomcat again w/ myeclipse plugin
    – make changes to the file, save, reload…

I started eclipse today, and still had the same issue. I made some additional changes while the webserver was running, and it finally redeployed that file on its own. The changes I made were outside of any JSP tags, in the root of the document.

Hope this didn’t muddy the water too much,

Thanks, Paul

#201324 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Paul,

Would you please verify “Window > Preferences > Workbench > Perform build automatically on resource modification” has not been turned off. Strangely, I’ve even seen it where this occurs “mysteriously”. Since the deployer relies on being called by the Eclipse build system, this setting must be enabled for Sync-on-demand to function properly.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#201339 Reply

Paul
    Participant

I just checked (after it started working again), and it is turned on.

#201342 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

So, is it now working again?

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#201404 Reply

Paul
    Participant

@scott wrote:

So, is it now working again?

Yes, thanks. It almost seems in the case of those JSPs I have problems with that there is a thresh hold I have to cross regards to changes made to the file. If it’s not deploying, just paste a lot of garbage in the file, and try again. Once it works, remove the garbage – and it’s as it should be.
    When I make the above garbage pastes, it’s always in the root of the document, outside of any jsp tags. I’ve had small issues with the way JSP tags are handled before in me – could this be related (or relevant), changes inside of or to tags not being recognized?

#201405 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

could this be related (or relevant), changes inside of or to tags not being recognized?

I don’t really see how. Our deployer simply ties into the Eclipse build loop. When a file is modified, the workbench starts a build for it and the deployer copies it to all the servers to which it is deployed. It really doesn’t have anything to do with ‘what’ changes, just if Eclipse recognized a change and requested a build for it.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
Reply To: MyEclipse no longer pushing files to webapp

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in