facebook

MyEclipse Visual JSP Editor memory usage

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

ibrandt
    Participant

The MyEclipse Visual JSP Editor seems to transiently require inordinate amounts of memory, and is causing many IDE hangs and out of memory crashes for our developers.

With the Heap Status monitor enabled I can see that on startup MyEclipse is sitting at 98MB. If I open a JSP with the visual editor that leaps up to just shy of 500MB. Opening another causes another leap up to about 750MB. If I let it sit it will garbage collect back to 99MB. Then if I enter a single space character in a JSP comment it jumps back to 350MB.

Aside from the performance implications of this much memory thrashing it invariably causes one of a couple out of memory dialogs to appear before long. My current settings are:

-Xmx756m
    -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
    -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=64m

The non-visual MyEclipse JSP Editor seems to fair a little better. I tried to remove the visual editor from file associations or set the non-visual editor to the default, but under File Associations for *.jsp it says the settings are locked by the JSP Content Type. When I navigate over to the Content Type all settings for JSP are “(locked)” as well. Is there a way to disable the visual editor, or to set the non-visual editor to the global default?

#305194 Reply

ibrandt
    Participant

I forget to mention that this is on 8.0, and is occurring on Mac and Windows XP systems. We’re also now finding the regular MyEclipse JSP Editor is not much better:

“MyEclipse has detected that less than 5% of the 714MB of CMS Old Gen (Heap memory) space remains.”

If it helps our JSPs generally have inline JavaScript.

#305214 Reply

uwodi

@ibrandt wrote:

The MyEclipse Visual JSP Editor seems to transiently require inordinate amounts of memory, and is causing many IDE hangs and out of memory crashes for our developers.
    ….

The non-visual MyEclipse JSP Editor seems to fair a little better. I tried to remove the visual editor from file associations or set the non-visual editor to the default, but under File Associations for *.jsp it says the settings are locked by the JSP Content Type. When I navigate over to the Content Type all settings for JSP are “(locked)” as well. Is there a way to disable the visual editor, or to set the non-visual editor to the global default?

I was having a similar issue with the MyEclipse Visual JSP Editor which started after I upgraded to 8.0. This drove me nuts and made me want to downgrade back to 7.x (that and Pulse which is another story). You should be able to change the default editor by doing the following:

MyEclipse -> Preferences -> General -> Editor -> File Associations
    In the ‘File types’ pane select *.jsp
    In the ‘Associated editors’ pane select ‘MyEclipse JSP Editor’ and press the’ Default’ button

You can also change it to the default text editor, if you wish, but you won’t have the pretty colors :-).

I’m currently using 8.5, but I think that the functionality of that part has not changed.

One other thing, I noticed that one the memory got up to a certain amount I encountered some paging. The occurred especailly when I was also running Tomcat. I have a gig allocated for MyEclipse and a gig allocated for Tomcat (I’m running a huge project).

#305217 Reply

ibrandt
    Participant

@uwodi wrote:

MyEclipse -> Preferences -> General -> Editor -> File Associations
    In the ‘File types’ pane select *.jsp
    In the ‘Associated editors’ pane select ‘MyEclipse JSP Editor’ and press the’ Default’ button

Ah, I see. Thanks for the tip, that helps. It’s also good to know we’re not the only ones with this issue. Hopefully 8.5GA will include some tuning improvements in both editors, as they’re a struggle to use as is.

#305268 Reply

Marc

@ibrandt wrote:

It’s also good to know we’re not the only ones with this issue. Hopefully 8.5GA will include some tuning improvements in both editors, as they’re a struggle to use as is.

You definitely aren’t the only one with the issue. We have 10 developers we moved to MyEclipse 8.0. We all have the same problem with the Visual JSP editor. If I stay in the Java source world, my memory usage remains reasonable. As soon as I open a JSP (any JSP) my memory usage spikes. It would be nice to get resolution to this issue. Currently, I have to restart MyEclipse frequently to clear out the memory.

I also noticed that there is a significant lag when opening JSPs. It didn’t used to take that long, but opening and editing JSPs is currently quite a painful task.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: MyEclipse Visual JSP Editor memory usage

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in