facebook

New Evaluation Questions

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

dindu63
    Participant

I have installed MyEclipse and successfully imported my existing Eclipse projects.

I do have some questions which I would like to ask before purchasing.

(1)

I have seen this question asked by someone else but is was some time ago.

I have multiple workspaces for “Live” “Demo” “Test” and “Dev” for example.

Currently when I setup Eclipse IDE I have more than one instance installed on my Mac and each one points to a specific workspace. This allows me to open up one eclipse/workspace on one monitor and a second on another monitor etc. It’s very useful if you want to check something without having to switch workspaces.

I tried to do this with MyEclipse on my Mac by using Finder to copy the install folder in apps and renaming the second copy. I got some Java errors which made me think that the MyEclipse IDE was looking for it’s Java in a specific folder within its package.

(2)
    One of my Java Applications which is a Swing Desktop App seems to add the Spring Facet during migration and I’ve no idea why. I don’t seem to be able to remove it via the Facet settings or editing the project file. Curious.

That’s all for the moment. The workspace – multiple instance thing is quite important for the way I work.

Dave

#701782 Reply

support-swapna

Dave,

Thank you for working with MyEclipse.
    To install multiple instances of MyEclipse in the same machine, please edit the .deliverycenter.installs file located in your user home directory, either comment the MyEclipse entry or delete the entire contents, save the file and rerun the MyEclipse installer file. It will give you an option to install another copy to a different location.

Regarding the addition of Spring facet during project migration, can you please let us know what error you are seeing when trying to uncheck the Spring facet from the project > Properties > Project Facets page? Attaching the screenshot would help get us a visual. Also if possible, please send us all the .* files (.class,.project,.settings etc) and the pom.xml (if maven based) of the project before migration to help us investigate further.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#701784 Reply

dindu63
    Participant

Thanks for your quick reply. I have managed to get 2 instances installed however I did it before you replied. What I did was to make a copy of the MyEclipse folder in my Applications folder. This worked until I renamed the original default install when it failed to find java when running. So maybe I will regret this later but I edited the eclipse.ini file and changed the path to the JVM to reflect the new location.

I have added some screen shots as requested. I use JasperReports in my project and notice that there appear to be 2 jars which contain Spring in their name so maybe that would account for it ?

I have also purchased a Professional Licence as the IDE is soooo polished and nice to work with. I also use WindowBuilder Pro and it was nice to find that present as well.

Dave

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #701810 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Dave,

So glad to hear you are enjoying MyEclipse! Since you mentioned JasperReports, I wanted to mention that we actually have support for BIRT in MyEclipse. Not suggesting that you change your framework of course, but am curious if you ever considered BIRT at the start of your project?

Instead of multiple MyEclipse installs, you also have the option of running the same install against multiple workspaces. Just run MyEclipse again and it will complain that the workspace is already in use (if you have set a default workspace and not asked it to prompt you each time). At that point, you can simply choose the other workspace you’re interested in loading – both instances will stay up. You can do this a third and fourth time too (technically no limit). A variation of this technique is to use the -data argument. If you create a shortcut with this argument, MyEclipse will start with that workspace. So myeclipse -data /users/dave/worksapceb would start MyEclipse with that workspace. You can make one shortcut for each of your workspaces.

As far as the Spring facet is concerned, yes – the Spring JARs it detected would be the reason it was detected as a Spring project. You can just ignore it for the most part, but if you really want it gone, here’s what you can do.
    1) Shut down MyEclipse
    2) In a text editor, open the [project folder]/.settings/org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.xml file.
    3) You should see a line like <installed facet="me.spring" version="4.0"/>. Delete this line and save the file.
    4) When you start MyEclipse, that facet should be gone.

Hope this helps and have a great weekend!

#701881 Reply

dindu63
    Participant

Thanks for your help – sorry for the late reply – I don’t seem to be getting email notifications when the thread is updated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: New Evaluation Questions

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in