facebook

No suggestions in empty line

1. Copilot4Eclipse – GitHub Copilot on Eclipse
  2.  > 
  3. General Discussion
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Philipp25
    Participant

Hey there,

thanks for your work on Copilot4Eclipse.
    When using the official IntelliJ Plugin for Copilot, I noticed that there are also suggestions when the cursor is in an empty line, like shown in my first screenshot.

I never noticed this when using Copilot4Eclipse. Here, suggestions only appear when there is already something written in the line.
    Why is that, and could we change that behavior?

Edit: I just noticed that the cursor is not visible in the screenshots, on both screenshots the cursor is in the line after “int sum = 0”.

Best regards,
    Philipp

• This topic was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Philipp25.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #699946 Reply

wayne

Hi Philipp,

It is difficult to compare LLM responses as they are generally nondeterministic. We can run Copilot integrations on IJ, VSCode and Eclipse side by side in the same context and there will be variations in copilot generated completions. I setup your exact method in both IJ and Eclipse. I double checked that “Show completions automatically” was enabled and then clicked around as well as manually typed in line #2 seeking attempting to trigger automatic completion generation. In both IDEs I had to prompt by typing the ‘i’ in “if (number…)” to trigger completion generation. Without prompting no completion was available from auto-triggering completion generation or when I manually requested completions (alt+\). I wish I had more to share but I don’t see this as a bug or that Eclipse is generating lower quality completions in general. It’s LLMs doing their thing which is context specific and seldom repeatable. Come back tomorrow and you may find Eclipse providing better more expressive completions.

Welcome to the world of LLMs where behaviors are always interesting and at times, quirky and silly.

Wayne

#699949 Reply

wayne

Here’s my teammate Swapna’s experience using Copilot4Eclipse with your example. It is similar to your IntelliJ experience.

Depending on the code in the previous line, the proposals trigger in the immediate empty line or we have to hit enter to move to next empty line for proposals. Example: in the user’s code, if the initialize statement for sum variable is not present, then the proposals are triggered in the next empty line:

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by wayne.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: No suggestions in empty line

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in