facebook

No support for automated Weblogic EJB development?

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Application Servers and Deployment
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

jdemmon

I’m not new to J2EE programming, but I am new to MyEclipse and Weblogic 8.1. So please excuse if my question seems naive.

I’m trying to develop a simple “Hello World” stateless session EJB.

At first I tried the procedure given in the manual (Getting Started/EJB development) but quickly discovered that the procedure fails to generate the necessary stubs for Weblogic.

Then I tried Don Fair’s tutorial for creating a Weblogic stateless session bean. The heart of this procedure involves hand coding a build.xml to invoke Weblogic’s wlappc processor to generate the stubs. The build must be run manually using ant. It seems strange that this script is not included with MyEclipse or automatically generated.

Don’s procedure does produce a valid EJB with all the needed pieces. However, MyEclipse does not recognized the output of Don’s build.xml procedure. So I can’t use MyEclipse to deploy it. The resulting jar must be deployed by hand.

Another of Don’s tutorial’s shows how to create an ear for Weblogic. This also involves hand coding and manually running an ant build. It also requires manual deployment.

So it would seem that when developing EJB and EAR’s for Weblogic I must forgo most of the MyEclipse automated edit-compile-deploy features and instead invoke hand written build scripts and manually deploy the results.

But surely this can’t be true? What am I missing?

Thanks.

#228210 Reply

Riyad Kalla

At first I tried the procedure given in the manual (Getting Started/EJB development) but quickly discovered that the procedure fails to generate the necessary stubs for Weblogic.

You will likely need to adjust the XDoclet tags to include generating files for WebLogic: http://xdoclet.sourceforge.net/xdoclet/ant/xdoclet/modules/bea/wls/ejb/WebLogicSubTask.html

So it would seem that when developing EJB and EAR’s for Weblogic I must forgo most of the MyEclipse automated edit-compile-deploy features and instead invoke hand written build scripts and manually deploy the results.

I imagine this is just the way Don likes to work, naturally adjusting your XDoclet tags should be able to generating the files you need and then you can configure the WebLogic connector and setup a deploying for your project.

#228232 Reply

jdemmon

Quote:

You will likely need to adjust the XDoclet tags to include generating files for WebLogic: http://xdoclet.sourceforge.net/xdoclet/ant/xdoclet/modules/bea/wls/ejb/WebLogicSubTask.html

Your answer implies that the XDoclet task can generate EJB stubs in place of using the appc task. But I don’t think that’s true. That’s why a custom ant script is needed. The problem is that the tutorial produces output that is not directly deployable by MyEclipse. As an evaluator of MyEclipse with limited time, I was hoping I could skip reinventing the wheel getting MyEclipse to produce a deployable EJB for WebLogic.

Happily, the discussion at http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-viewtopic-t-6441.html gave me the vital information that MyEclipse definitely does not directly support creating deployable WebLogic EJBs, so I could stop wasting time thinking I missed something about MyEclipse’s capabilies. And the original poster gave an ant script that provides enough clues for me to hopefully develop my own script that produces an EJB that is deployable by MyEclipse.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: No support for automated Weblogic EJB development?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in