facebook

NullPointerException when trying to create a WebService

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Web Services
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

factset
    Participant

Hello,

I use MyEclipse 5.5.1GA and I face a strange problem.
    Initially, I had successfully generated a webservice (using Xfire and MyEclipse template) from an implementation class only.

Then I thought it would be better to have an interface so I did a refactoring to extract an interface describing my webservice.

I did not know how to “update” the existing webservice, so I just removed the WebServices/services.xml, and I’ve tried to create my WS again, but this time specifying both interface and implementation class.

It was not working and I have noticed that the Webservices settings panel was complaining about the fact the file WebServices/services.xml was not found.

So I created again this file, but empty, so Webservices settings panel is happy and finds the file.

But now when I try to generate the WS, nothing happens.
    By looking at MyEclipse logs, I can see that a NullPointerException is thrown when I press the Finish button :

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.genuitec.eclipse.ws.xfire.XFireServicesFile.updateServiceDescriptor(XFireServicesFile.java:96)
        at com.genuitec.eclipse.ws.xfire.XFireServicesFile.updateServiceDescriptor(XFireServicesFile.java:85)
        at com.genuitec.eclipse.ws.xfire.wizards.NewWebServiceWizard.createBottomUpWebService(NewWebServiceWizard.java:137)
        at com.genuitec.eclipse.ws.xfire.wizards.NewWebServiceWizard.performFinish(NewWebServiceWizard.java:100)
        at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.finishPressed(WizardDialog.java:680)
        at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.buttonPressed(WizardDialog.java:355)
        at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog$3.widgetSelected(Dialog.java:660)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:90)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:66)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:928)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3348)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2968)
        at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:820)
        at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:796)
        at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.ui.wizard.WizardUtil$1.run(WizardUtil.java:32)
        at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:67)
        at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.ui.wizard.WizardUtil.launchWizard(WizardUtil.java:36)
        at com.genuitec.eclipse.ws.xfire.actions.NewServiceActionDelegate.run(NewServiceActionDelegate.java:53)
        at org.eclipse.ui.actions.ActionDelegate.runWithEvent(ActionDelegate.java:70)
    etc...

Refreshing, closing the project, or restarting MyEclipse does not solve it.

Do you know what’s wrong and how I could generate again my webservice ?

Thank you very much for your help
    Philippe

#272268 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Philippe,
    I think killing the services file made the wizard mad. Try using this simple empty file contents instead:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <beans xmlns="http://xfire.codehaus.org/config/1.0">

</beans>

#272350 Reply

factset
    Participant

Thanks Riyad, I did something similar (create a new project, generate a webservice to see how the xml file looks like, then create manually a services.xml file for my service).

My problem is fixed now.
    But generally, does the wizard support updates/re-generation of existing service ? (apart from editing the file manually).

Thanks
    Philippe

#272372 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Philippe,
    Yes you can use it but each time you regenerate the service the old one is overwritten (there is some control to avoid overwriting key files though).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: NullPointerException when trying to create a WebService

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in