facebook

Opening existing Project

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Web Development (HTML, CSS, etc.)
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I have a project that Im working with another state on. They developed the Java apps in MyEclipse using struts. I FTPed the project that is running on there web servers. I can run it on my web server here. When I try to open it using myeclipe I create a web project and attach to the directory I have the code in and open using the same project name the creater used. When I open the project, it doesn’t open it the way it was sent and adds a diff. web-inf and gives me code errors. It doesn’t appear to recognize the existing structure and I have tried opening the project in various ways to limited or no success. I can’t redeploy with out errors and the project not working. I have the latest version of myeclilpse, eclipe, Tomcat 5, and Sun Java 5 available. The enviornmets are the same in my shop at the source. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. How do I open the project correctly to avoid this problem.

#241083 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

I FTPed the project that is running on there web servers.

That sounds like you’re trying to import the actual WAR file, rather than using their MyEclipse project. The easiest way to work with them would be to either share a CVS repository or ask them to Export the project as a zip archive (File > Export… > Archive File), including everything in the project. ONce you receive it, unzip the zip file into your workspace and use File > Import… > Existing projects into workspace, selecting the one you were sent. That should be recognized properly as a MyEclipse project since it will contain all the metadata files for both Eclipse and MyEclipse.

#241127 Reply

No its not the war file, I belive its the contents of whats on the web server. Its all the folders, JSP’s, and etc files in a directory. I will see if they can post the project as a hole on t he site. But is there any way for me to get the project working with what I have already.

#241197 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

But is there any way for me to get the project working with what I have already.

That’s impossible to answer since we don’t really know what you have. 🙂

Seriously though, for the project to work, it needs to at least contain the following files in the root of it: .project, .mymetadata, .classpath
    Without those, it’ll never work. Asking them to provide the project itself, not the runnable deployment of it, is really the way to make it work.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Opening existing Project

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in