facebook

oracle oci driver

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

rateoty

hi,

I’ve downloaded the oracle instant client. With sql*plus I can connect to my database.
    So I set the extra classpath for the oci driver to the odbc14.jar in the directory where all the files for the instant client are stored.
    I put that directory and the directory, which contains my tnsnames.ora file in the path.

the tnsnames.ora has one entry:

TEST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 12042))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVICE_NAME = test.world)
    )
    )
    the port is forwarded to the correct machine and port (otherwise sql*plus wouldn’t work..)

as url in the connection setting I’ve tried:
    jdbc:oracle:oci8:@OMS
    jdbc:oracle:oci:@OMS

both don’t work. Instead I get a message:

Error while trying to database :
    null

Is there something else, I do have to set? Since the thin client works fine, it shouldn’t be a permissions problem.

regards Jürgen

>What operating system and version are you running?
    Windows XP
    >What Eclipse version and build id are you using? (Help > About Eclipse >Platform)
    Version: 3.0.2
    Build id: 200503110845
    >- Was Eclipse freshly installed for MyEclipse?
    yes

>- Are any other external plugins installed?
    no
    >- How many plugins in the <eclipse>/plugins directory are like >org.eclipse.pde.*
    >What MyEclipse version are you using? (Help > About Eclipse Platform > >Features)
    Version: 3.8.4
    Build id: 200501171200-3.8.4
    >What JDK version are you using to run Eclipse? (java -version)
    java version “1.4.2_08”
    >What JDK version are you using to launch your application server?
    1.4.2_08

#231778 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Jurgen,
    I will look into this.

#231785 Reply

support-jeff

Jurgen –

Did you configure the Oracle OCI Driver in the ME preference page? Goto Window -> Preferences -> MyEclipse -> Database Explorer -> Drivers, select the driver from the list and click edit to add the location of your driver.

jeff

#231802 Reply

rateoty

Jeff, I did (sorry, forgot to mention this):
    Preferences->MyEclipse->Databse Explorer->Drivers->Edit
    I added Extra class path and set to
    c:\programme\oracle\instantclient10_1\ojdbc14.jar
    (which is in the directory, where the instant client resides)
    and selected oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver

regards Jürgen

#231808 Reply

Dave Trussell
    Participant

@rateoty wrote:

the tnsnames.ora has one entry:

TEST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 12042))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVICE_NAME = test.world)
    )
    )

as url in the connection setting I’ve tried:
    jdbc:oracle:oci8:@OMS
    jdbc:oracle:oci:@OMS

Based on the above information, your connection URL should be:

jdbc:oracle:oci8:@TEST

Also, make sure your Instant Client DLLs are copied to $ORACLE_HOME\bin. That’s the only way I got mine to work.

Dave

#231812 Reply

rateoty

Dave,

thanks for your advice – TEST was just my template – in fact I do have copied it to OMS.

I’ve set everything into the PATH (my ORACLE_HOME and TNS_ADMIN) and now it works – I can connect to the database vie myEclipse. It was not necessary to copy the dlls to $ORACLE_HOME\bin; I do not have such a directory.
    The only problem which further exists, is to setup my weblogic properly. THis looks way more sophisticated, as bea8.1 denies to know of that driver and insists on an older version. But thats not a myEclipse matter I guess.

regards Jürgen

#232561 Reply

I have this repeated problem. I edit a connection in the db browser and change the url and nothing else and I get connection error “null” when I go to connect. I go to the windows preferneces and edit the url and set the driver name to a different name and set the URL (to what I have in my tnsnames.ora – which does work in TOAd and does work in the Oracle enterprise manager console) and it seems I am totally screwed, because that driver will not work with anything now – it is like the driver jar is lost as a result of whatever I have changed the name to (like the default oci driver or oci8 driver to ociConnection or whatever name I makeup). I want to get all the default driver settings back to what MyEclipse had at the start so I can start over, but I cannot get them back. The sequence of steps is totally confusing …

#232569 Reply

I just downloaded MyEclipse 4.0M2 and installed on top of Elcipse3.1. I edited the OCI8 driver just as I have tried repeatedly on my elcipse3.02/MyEclipse 4.0M1(I think that is the version – what I have been using for several months) and had no problem – connected with the exact same parameters I have been using in my eclipse3.02/MyEclipse 4.01M, which somehow got messed up after I edited it on the preferneces page. There is something going on in the Driver configuration that is “untoward” when you make a change to an “installed” driver. You should at least be able to restore it to whatever MyEclipse gave you when you first installed it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: oracle oci driver

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in