facebook

Oracle-specific features?

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

ddelmoli

As a newbie to Eclipse / MyEclipse, I’m trying to evaluate the Oracle database extension as a possible replacement for TOAD at our company for the Java developers.

I installed Eclipse 3.0.1 and MyEclipse 3.8.3. and was able to configure the Oracle Thin JDBC driver. But, when I connect I appear to be getting the older SQL Explorer view of just Tables, Synonyms and Views. Do I need to somehow enable the Oracle specific explorer?

#221380 Reply

snpe

Oracle plugin isn’t loaded , probably – see about/plugins – plugin have oracle in name
    If plugin doesn’t exists remove configuretion directory in eclipse root and start again

regards

#221430 Reply

ddelmoli

The Oracle plugin appears in the plugin list…

Genuitec LLC, Oracle Database Explorer 3.8.3, com.genuitec.eclipse.sqlexplorer.oracle

#221443 Reply

ddelmoli

Ok, got it working — oddly the manifest file for com.genuitec.eclipse.sqlexplorer.oracle was missing from \eclipse\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\manifests. I just created it and copied the data from the META-INF file from within the MyEclipse directory.

So, now that it’s working, can someone tell me why the packages and package bodies don’t appear in alphabetical order within the browser?

#221494 Reply

support-jeff

So, now that it’s working, can someone tell me why the packages and package bodies don’t appear in alphabetical order within the browser?

Because we want to torment you! 😉 There is no ordering placed on them. If you’d like I can add an enhancement request to do so.

#222231 Reply

I copied the MF to \eclipse\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\manifests as com.genuitec.eclipse.sqlexplorer.oracle_3.8.3.MF. I have an error when I am trying to log on

!ENTRY com.genuitec.eclipse.sqlexplorer 4 4 jan 05, 2005 18:58:44.799
    !MESSAGE Error while trying to login to database
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.sqlexplorer.actions.OpenPasswordConnectDialogAction.�(Unknown Source)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.sqlexplorer.actions.OpenPasswordConnectDialogAction.run(Unknown Source)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.sqlexplorer.actions.NewConnection.run(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.Action.runWithEvent(Action.java:881)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:915)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:866)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$7.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:785)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:82)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:796)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:2772)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2431)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1377)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1348)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:254)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:141)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:96)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:335)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:273)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:129)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:185)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:704)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:688)

#222232 Reply

Please can you help me?

#222236 Reply

Sorry, got the problem, ignore previous submits please

#246412 Reply

bgblanch

I would like to second the request for alphabetical ordering within the database explorer. This is one of the few enhancements to the database explorer necessary to bring it on par with other products.

#246419 Reply

Haris Peco

bgblanch,

alphabetical ordering for what, please ?
    .Objects in explorer are ordered already

#246423 Reply

bgblanch

packages, package bodies, procedures, functions, triggers?

#246427 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Interestingly enough, we were talking about alphabetical ordering just today. This is something that won’t make it to the upcoming 4.1.1 maintanence release; but perhaps sometime after that.

We are interested in any other suggestions you might have to make the DB explorer a more productive choice for you.

Best,
    Brian.

#246430 Reply

bgblanch

Great. I look forward to seeing the it when its implemented.

#246476 Reply

@Support-Brian wrote:

We are interested in any other suggestions you might have to make the DB explorer a more productive choice for you.

I’d also suggest you to take a look of TOAD.
    A suggestion of mine, which comes from a traumatic experience from having to read other peoples code:
    Eclipse has a wonderful “correct identation” feature for Java, what about PL/SQL code?

#246479 Reply

bgblanch

I’m not sure what you mean by “correct indentation” but PL/SQL code gets indented nicely. I have mine set to use tabs that are 4 spaces each. If you were referring to automatically indenting the next line to the current indentation then, yes, Eclipse does indent correctly. I really enjoy having one IDE for all of my development and would prefer to just use Eclipse/MyEclipse. However, I am running into a lot of problems with the database explorer that I don’t run into in other free IDEs such as JDeveloper 10.1.3.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Oracle-specific features?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in