facebook

Please help! Computer Freezing at Code Completion

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Off Topic
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

hayedid

Please help!

My computer is freezing for about 40 seconds whenever code completion starts. I am running the latest versions of Eclipse and MyEclipse. I also have WebLogic 9.1 installed, but this happens even if the server is not started.

For example,

I want to type:

System.out.println(“Hello”);

I type in System

The instant I hit the “.” (period), my PC freezes for about 40 seconds. Any ideas would be appreciated… I can’t get any work done.

Thanks!

#246561 Reply

Haris Peco

hayedid,

If you have troubles with Java editor, then it’s eclipse, but no MyEclipse problem
    However, i advice that you start empty workspace (set option when call eclipse
    -data -<NEW_DIRECTORY_IN_YOR_FILE_SYSTEM>), make simple project and test your problem

What is your version Eclipse and MyEclipse ?

#246652 Reply

hayedid

Eclipse:
    Version: 3.1.2
    Build id: M20060118-1600

MyEclipse:
    Version 4.1

I’ve started with a -clean and also tried an empty workspace. These do not resolve the issue.

#246653 Reply

Haris Peco

hayedid,

Have you yet another plugins in eclipse (except MyEclipse) and what machine you have (processor, memory), please

Best

#246655 Reply

hayedid

The only plug-in I have is MyEclipse.

I have an HP xw4300 Workstation.
    Pentium(R) Dual Processor 3.2Ghz
    1.00 GB of RAM

Thank you.

#246657 Reply

Haris Peco

hayedid,

It’s strange.Java editor is from eclipse distribution (it isn’t MyEclipse problem).
    Do you have much projects with big sources and a lot libraries ?

Best

#246658 Reply

hayedid

When I started with a new workspace, the project I have is very small (21K Compiled). It is the only project in my workspace. I even tried completely reinstalling windows eclipse and myeclipse. This gave me a clean workspace. The problem still occurs.

#246661 Reply

Haris Peco

hayedid,

I work on much slower machine and with big workspace, but haven’t such problems

What is your JDK (eclipse work with own compiler, but search JDK for source) ?

best

#246662 Reply

hayedid

Under Windows / Preferences / Java / Installed JRE’s, there are three listed:

c:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0
    c:\bea\jrockit90_150_04
    c:\bea\jdk150_04

I have tried switching among each of these, but it didn’t make any difference.

#246664 Reply

Haris Peco

Try download jdk from sun and execute eclipse with ‘-vm <path to sunjdk>’

your problem is probably bea’s jdk/jre – your path after -vm can show to java executable (no JAVA_HOME or bin)
    It is $JAVA_HOME/bin/java on linux and $JAVA_HOME/bin/javaw.exe (java.exe, i don’t sure) on windows

best

#246667 Reply

hayedid

I’ve disabled the ‘Code Assist’. This has hidden the issue (I’ll certainly miss the code assist).

I tried the -vm argument with a SUN JDK. Didn’t make any difference.

Thank you for your help.

#246669 Reply

Haris Peco

you have bea jdk and sun jre, probably
    do you download sun jdk, now and what are you set after -vm (if you type wrong system start with default jdk/jre)

your machine have to work perfect

best

#246670 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Moving to OT > Soft Dev

#246675 Reply

hayedid

Praise God! I finally figured it out. I had to start Eclipse with the following parameters:

C:\eclipse\eclipse.exe -Xms128M -Xmx512M -XX:PermSize=64M -XX:MaxPermSize=128M

Thank you for all your help!

#247044 Reply

rawling

I have just started to learn Java; as such, I have fresh installs of (pretty much) the latest release of the Sun JDK and JRE and of Eclipse (no MyEclipse; I’m hoping that doesn’t bother you 🙁 )
    Anyway, I have this exact same issue, a temporary freeze a little while after the Code Complete list comes up. However, the command line parameters make no difference to this for me. Anybody have any ideas about this?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Please help! Computer Freezing at Code Completion

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in