facebook

Possible to deploy to WSAD’s WAS5 from MyEclipse?

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Application Servers and Deployment
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Has anyone had any success in trying to deploy to the WAS5 that comes with WSAD 5.0 from MyEclipse?

Basically we don’t use a standalone installation of WAS5 locally, the intention is that WSAD is used, but I would like to use MyEclipse instead..

I’ve pointed the application server jdk to the one that comes with WSAD, I’ve pointed the WAS home directory at C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere Studio\runtimes\aes_v4 (okay I know thats WAS4.0), its prompting for a configuration file, so I use one from C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere Studio\runtimes\aes_v4\config, not sure whether its server-cfg.xml or admin-server-cfg.xml

is this going to work? how would I manage an EJB deployment??

cheers

James

#234434 Reply

Ok, I managed to get WAS4.0 to startup, not much I know but still.. noticed that if I use admin-server-cfg.xml it threw less errors, the errors from using server-cfg.xml seem to stem from it loading up example applications.

ok so now I need to deploy an application to was4.0… hmmm

#234442 Reply

Now, I’m trying to deploy a simple web app, MyEclipse is deploying an exploded archive to C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere Studio\runtimes\aes_v4\installedApps\MyWebApp. From the start-up debug from WAS4.0 it looks like the only port open is 9091, but when I try that… get a

Virtual Host or Web Application Not Found

The web group /MyWebApp/MyTestServlet has not been defined

#234444 Reply

Ok, next I’ve tried using the server-config.xml, now I get a 404 not found. Looking at the logs, it doesn’t appear as though its loaded my application. might try deploying it as a war..

#234445 Reply

Riyad Kalla

is this going to work?

Did you try and hit start to see if ti spins up?

how would I manage an EJB deployment??

Please read our EJB quickstart guide here: http://www.myeclipseide.com/images/tutorials/quickstarts/firstejb/

#234446 Reply

nope, no change, MyWebApp is still not appearing in the log.. maybe I need to add it into some configuration file?

#234448 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Here is a quick start guide we just wrote for WebSphere 6. I know it will be slightly different for WS 4, BUT you should atleast be able to follow the configuration steps and deployment steps of your application to get the idea of how you actually install an app into websphere as well as configure the logging so MyEclipse can display it for you:
    http://myeclipseide.com/enterpriseworkbench/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.genuitec.myeclipse.doc/html/quickstarts/websphere6/index.html

#234449 Reply

I’ve amended server-config.xml to look like this at the end:

<pathMap xmi:id="PathMap_1">
          <entries xmi:id="PathMapEntry_1" symbolicName="APP_INSTALL_ROOT" path="${WAS_ROOT}/installedApps" description="The filesystem path to the directory which will contain installed enterprise applications."/>
          <entries xmi:id="PathMapEntry_2" symbolicName="LOG_ROOT" path="${WAS_ROOT}/logs" description="The filesystem path to the directory which will contain server log files."/>
          <entries xmi:id="PathMapEntry_3" symbolicName="TRANLOG_ROOT" path="${WAS_ROOT}/tranlog" description="The filesystem path to the directory which will transaction log files."/>
          <entries xmi:id="PathMapEntry_4" symbolicName="PRODUCT_INSTALL_ROOT" path="${WAS_ROOT}" description="The filesystem path to the product installation directory"/>
    <!--      <entries xmi:id="PathMapEntry_5" symbolicName="WAS_ROOT" path="c:\WebSphere\AppServer" description="The filesystem path to the product installation directory"/> -->
          <entries xmi:id="PathMapEntry_5" symbolicName="WAS_ROOT" path="C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere Studio\runtimes\aes_v4" description="The filesystem path to the product installation directory"/>      
    <!--            <entries xmi:id="PathMapEntry_6" symbolicName="JAVA_HOME" path="c:\WebSphere\AppServer\java" description="The filesystem path to the product java home directory"/> -->
                <entries xmi:id="PathMapEntry_6" symbolicName="JAVA_HOME" path="C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere Studio\runtimes\aes_v4\java" description="The filesystem path to the product java home directory"/>            
        </pathMap>

still getting a 404 on http://localhost:9080/MyWebApp/MyTestServlet

#234453 Reply

@support-rkalla wrote:

Here is a quick start guide we just wrote for WebSphere 6. I know it will be slightly different for WS 4, BUT you should atleast be able to follow the configuration steps and deployment steps of your application to get the idea of how you actually install an app into websphere as well as configure the logging so MyEclipse can display it for you:
    http://myeclipseide.com/enterpriseworkbench/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.genuitec.myeclipse.doc/html/quickstarts/websphere6/index.html

the issue is that I don’t have access to the admin console because I’m trying to use the embedded WAS4.0 that comes with WSAD.

had a quick scan of that link but it doesn’t look like it will help.

#234454 Reply

ah okay, the deployment stuff is more relevant, I beg ur pardon.

#234456 Reply

okay, so now I’ve deployed an ear file containing my war into the WSAD embedded WAS4.0, but according to the guide I now need to deploy it INTO Websphere, any ideas on how to do this without access to the console??

#234457 Reply

Riyad Kalla

No idea. I also don’t know if our connector fully supports the integrated websphere version.

If this is for development, is it psosible to just download JBoss 4 and use that?

#234459 Reply

yeah, I’m starting to realise what a pain using Websphere is! I’ve got jboss on the go, but need to try deploying to websphere at some point. I just don’t want to have to use WSAD! At this rate, I’ll need to fire it up so that it can generate the deployment information nonsense that Websphere requires.

was hoping that someone out there had my same scenario, developing for Websphere but only have access to a local installation of Websphere thru WSAD.

#234467 Reply

started trying to replicate the sampleApp application that comes with was4.0, this mainly involved hacking around with the server-config.xml and creating ibm-application-ext.xmi’s etc etc, but even if I got this working, its not a viable way of doing day-to-day development.

#234513 Reply

Muhahahahaaaa

MyEclipse with WSAD’s WAS server is possible! So long as you use WAS 5

First get WAS 5 working from the command line:

Its not very hard, check this thread I wrote:

http://saloon.javaranch.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=46&t=007333

Set up WAS5 as a server in MyEclipse, pointing it at

C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere Studio\runtimes\base_v5

remember to set the jdk to point at

C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere Studio\runtimes\base_v5\java

create an ear.

deploy it to

C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere Studio\runtimes\base_v5\installableApps

then have to IBM’ify it by using their deployment thingy

run

C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere Studio\runtimes\base_v5\bin\assembly.bat

open up the ear file you created in myelipse, and then save it, this seems to ibm’ify it (adding the .xmi files that I was mentioning above for was 5)

now you have to deploy it to the server (sigh, yes what pain)

start the server in myeclipse, use the admin console (http://localhost:9090/admin) and install the application, I had no clue what I was doing here just clicked yes on most things

remember to start the app!

bingo, should work

btw I just did a test web app, no ejbs..

hopefully I can now develop in myeclipse and run against the wsad embedded was5

just got to try hot deployments, debugging and ejbs now 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Reply To: Possible to deploy to WSAD’s WAS5 from MyEclipse?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in