facebook

Preview of JSP file using taglibs and struts

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

kbottner

As I convert my application over to using struts I am making extensive use of taglibs. However, the preview mode does not render any of the items that I am converting over to. For instance, take a simple form and convert to using the html taglib (i.e. html:form, html:text. etc..) When I go to preview mode those items disappear. Is this correct or is there a setting somewhere that I have not set to make these items appear just like they do for standard HTML form elements?

Regards,

Keith

#205279 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Keith,
    Unfortunately this is true for the time being, the page is not actually compiled/run real-time which would be required to show the evaluations of the struts taglibs. We may do something else in the future but for now the preview is really better for mostly HTML pages.

#205296 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

We are exploring the introduction of a mechanism that will substitute custom tags with equivalent HTML tags for preview mode. But no promises for addition Eclipse 2.8/3.8.

#205315 Reply

kbottner

Preview mode without showing the preview is kinda useless. I would appreciate any enhancements towards getting the preview mode to work as expected.

Thanks in advance,

Keith

#205316 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Preview mode without showing the preview is kinda useless.

We agree, that’s why we are adding the new functionality.

Or we could call the tab “Kinda-Preview” and call it a day 😀

#205319 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

We would not have included a feature that provides no value. My perspective is that preview mode for JSP’s with custom UI tags definitely needs more work. But the feature is very effective for viewing renderable HTML. For example when editing straight HTML or for JSPs that are heavily HTML-ized. We have seen much more of the later case than the use of custom UI tags (lots of legacy JSPs out there). So this is the reason was released before we included a custom tag translation mechanism into ME.

#205320 Reply

kbottner

Totally agree, in fact it was the excellent functionality that I have received from MyEclipse that I started converting over my HTML with minor jsp tags into the full blown Struts application that I wanted. I didn’t even realize that the preview wasn’t working until I had converted several of my JSPs and decided to modify the layout. Being a professional developer myself I understand the feature cycle and am willing to wait for the full functionality desired with your same great quality.

I can’t say enough how much I enjoy MyEclipse IDE, and things like this will NOT prevent me from continuing to use MyEclipse. As always, looking forward to your next great release.

Keith

#205322 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Keith,
    We really appreciate the kind words and strong support, its our validation that all this hard work is doing what we set out to do: make our users happy.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Preview of JSP file using taglibs and struts

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in