facebook

problems stepping through code in debug

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Application Servers and Deployment
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Hello,
    I am having a problem while stepping through code in debug. I am running on JBoss_4.0.3 and have deployed my app following the online directions. It seems that the debugger is not recognizing break points and is even a few lines of code behind where the application actually is. I have a critical problem for a large customer and I am hoping you’ll be able to point me to where the problem might exist.

Thanks,
    Doug

#247865 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Can you please post all the information we request in the [URL=http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-viewtopic-t-393.html]Posting Guidelines[/URL] thread at the top of this forum? That will give us some context so that we can determine if this is an installation issue, a configuration problem, or a bug. Thanks.

#247873 Reply

Here is my configuration and answers to the questions in the link you supplied.

Was Eclipse freshly installed for MyEclipse? YES

If not, was it upgraded to its current version using the update manager? N/A

Are any other external plugins installed?YES, I have the WTP, Hibernate, JBoss IDE, BIRT, UML and WST.

What application server are you using? I am using JBoss_4.0.3 and I am running this through MyEclipse’s server config and deployment features.

I hope this is the information that you need. Please let me know if you need anything else.

*** Date: Tue Mar 07 08:25:14 EST 2006

*** System properties:
    OS=WindowsXP
    OS version=5.1
    Java version=1.4.2_08

*** MyEclipse details:
    MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench

Version: 4.1.1 GA
    Build id: 20060228-4.1.1-GA

*** Eclipse details:
    Eclipse SDK

Version: 3.1.2
    Build id: M20060118-1600

Eclipse Platform

Eclipse Java Development Tools

Build id: M20050929-0840

Eclipse Graphical Editing Framework

Version: 3.1
    Build id: 200509301327

Eclipse RCP

Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment

Eclipse Project SDK

Eclipse startup command=-os
    win32
    -ws
    win32
    -arch
    x86
    -launcher
    C:\Eclipse-3.1\eclipse.exe
    -name
    Eclipse
    -showsplash
    -exitdata
    a48_60
    -vm C:\j2sdk1.4.2_08\jre\bin\java.exe
    -vm
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\javaw.exe

#247889 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Having WTP and JBossIDE installed in parallel with MyEclipse will cause a number of problems and are likely the cause of this problem. MyEclipse builds ontop of WTP and integrates work from JBossIDE, so there are API conflicts between them. I would suggest either stick with MyEclipse or WTP&JBossIDE, but mixing them won’t work well.

#247894 Reply

i deactivated every feature in eclipse and I am still having the same issue. My next step is to perform a clean install of eclipse and myeclipse.

#247895 Reply

Riyad Kalla

What I would suggest to get everything setup and working is:

1) Redownload Eclipse 3.1.2 SDK, unzip it to a new location
    2) Redownload MyEclipse 4.1.1 GA (just released) and install it, pointing at your Eclipse install from #1
    3) Redownload JBoss 4.0.3 and unzip it to a new location

Start up Eclipse, create a new Workspace, setup JBoss 4 in MyEclipse. Then create a sample web app (just a JSP and a Bean maybe) and deploy it, setting break points, then start JBoss. Make sure the break points are hit. The idea being that once things are all working together, we can branch out from there and import your old settings, projects, etc. But first let’s get everything behaving itself.

#247908 Reply

problem is still occurring after reloading everything. Any suggestions?

#247929 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Can you be more specific. Are you debugging normal POJOs, servlets, jsp pages? What isn’t work exactly? When you say “it seems to be a few lines behind”, this is aknown issue when debugging script-heavy JSP pages, the source maps returned by the app servers is usually off by a few lines. But your debugging of straight classes should be accurate.

Are you running MyEclipse with atleast JDK 1.4 as well as your app server? Are you using the JBoss + Tomcat bundle or the JBoss + Jetty bundle? Try using the Tomcat bundle if you aren’t.

#247983 Reply

I am debugging POJO’s. I am also using jdk 1.4.2_07 for both the application and jboss. How do I determine which bundle I am using…and why should that even matter? When I say it’s a few lines behind I mean the debugger is a few lines behind where the application actually is. If I set a break point at say line 100 and run the application on the server in debug the IDE thinks it hit the break point when actually the program is on say line 104. Basically, the debugger is useless when trying to use it for debugging on the application server since I don’t have any control over what is exactly happening. I could set a break point at a point before where I need it to actually stop but then I could just as easily use RAD6 and not have this problem.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Doug

#248003 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Doug,
    Are you using a packaged or exploded deployment?

Try shutting down your app server, removing your deployment then Project > Clean, rebuild your project then recreate an *exploded* deployment, see if that helps. If you were using a packaged deployment it was most likely just out of date, exploded deployments are updated automatically for you.

#248008 Reply

I’ve tried deploying both package and exploded and both fail to be able to run to break points properly. Also, I am redploying my packages everytime I make a change which is quite annoying I might add. So, the point is regardless of how I deploy the application it never seems to run to break points properly.

#248012 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Doug,
    When you reinstalled everything, did you use a new workspace or still use the old one? Did you restart using the -clean command line argument? The last things I would try is upgrading your JDK to the latest 1.4.2 stable (I think iit’s at _12 now) and seeing if that helped. If you can create a small sample project that has this problem and send it to me support@genuitec.com ATTN Riyad, I’d like to try it out, there might be details in the code you are omitting that could make a difference.

Also if you don’t need EJBs you can try using Tomcat by itself for an easier development setup. At this point it depends on your level of frustration, while I’m happy to work with you as long as it takes you might be at the end of your patience rope, just let me know which way you want to go on this.

#248430 Reply

hello again,
    I think this may be an issue with trying to step through code that has been imported as a .jar file. I am also having this problem while testing code, via running as a java application. Maybe I am not doing something right in the ide that is causing this issue. Could you give me any pointers on how I might set up my workspace to link the source for two projects in the same workspace?

Thanks…

#248441 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Doug, please outline what you have (source and binary) how many projects and what you are trying to do. Then I can try and suggest a setup to you.

#248448 Reply

I am deploying the source and binary files in the same .jar. When I try and set up a project reference in Eclipse it doesn’t seem to work properly. I currently have 6 projects in the workspace one for business logic, one for database integration, one for web, one for custom messaging, and two product projects. All these are pulled into the web project as seperated .jar files. Everything seems to be fine until I need to run in debug mode. I have ant scripts to deploy the bin and src folders for each project which also copies these files to the lib directory of the needing project. (I know I should make the needing project copy the file, but that’s outside the scope of this problem).

So, do you have all the information that you need?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Reply To: problems stepping through code in debug

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in