facebook

Problems with Clean 3.8.3GA Install

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Jim Lombardo

After performing a clean install of Eclipse 3.0.1, followed by a clean install of MyEclipse 3.8.3GA, I get the following exception in the Eclipse log:

!SESSION Jan 13, 2005 09:06:56.312 ———————————————
    eclipse.buildId=M200409161125
    java.version=1.4.2_04
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US

!ENTRY org.eclipse.webbrowser 2 0 Jan 13, 2005 09:06:56.312
    !MESSAGE Internal browser is not operational
    !STACK 0
    org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: No more handles
    at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:2717)
    at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:2616)
    at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:2587)
    at org.eclipse.swt.browser.Browser.<init>(Browser.java:146)
    at org.eclipse.webbrowser.internal.WebBrowserUtil.isInternalBrowserOperational(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.webbrowser.internal.BrowserManager.addInternalBrowser(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.webbrowser.internal.BrowserManager.loadBrowsers(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.webbrowser.internal.BrowserManager.getWebBrowsers(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.webbrowser.internal.WebBrowserUIPlugin.stop(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl$2.run(BundleContextImpl.java:994)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.stop(BundleContextImpl.java:990)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.stopWorker(BundleHost.java:502)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.stop(AbstractBundle.java:437)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.BundleStopper.basicStopBundles(BundleStopper.java:73)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.BundleStopper.stopBundles(BundleStopper.java:62)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseAdaptor.frameworkStopping(EclipseAdaptor.java:551)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.shutdown(Framework.java:457)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.SystemBundle$1.run(SystemBundle.java:182)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.webbrowser 1 0 Jan 13, 2005 09:06:56.312
    !MESSAGE true/false

In addition, although everything else seems to work ok, I cannot use the “intellisense” feature in the JSP editor with java objects identified by the tag library.

Any ideas?
    My Operating System: WinXP SP1
    RAM 1 GB
    No other extenal plugins are installed at this time.
    Current JDK: 1.4.2_04
    No other apps are running.

#222685 Reply

Riyad Kalla

This has to do with an incompatible version of your web browser on your computer making the SWT Browser widget freak out and die. Try and find the “Web Browser” view in your interface and close it. Then restart ME, do you still get the exception?

Please give me an example of what you are trying to autocomplete and where you expect autocomplete to popup and what it should show.

#222705 Reply

Jim Lombardo

@support-rkalla wrote:

This has to do with an incompatible version of your web browser on your computer making the SWT Browser widget freak out and die. Try and find the “Web Browser” view in your interface and close it. Then restart ME, do you still get the exception?

Please give me an example of what you are trying to autocomplete and where you expect autocomplete to popup and what it should show.

Closing the “Web Browser” view and setting MyEclipse preferences to the “Internal Browser” did the trick. No more log errors. However the JSP problem continues. As requested in your message (quoted in this email) here is an example of some code where the auto complete does not work:

<%@ page import=”com.bmpr.portalbeans.beans.cg_printrequisition.*,
    com.epicentric.components.*,
    java.util.*”

contentType=”text/html; charset=UTF-8″ %>

<%@taglib uri=”module-tags” prefix=”mod” %>
    <mod:view class=”com.bmpr.portalbeans.beans.cg_printrequisition.AttachView”>
    <%
    String actionURL = view.getBean().getFullViewURL(Screens.ATTACH_PROCESS_VIEW);
    %>

In the line above, “view.” produces nothing. Notice that view is defined by the “mod” tag. Yet, “Screens.” DOES produce auto complete. This may also help you: the exact same code, with the exact same JSP tag libraries works fine in version 2.7 of MyEclipse.

#222714 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Hmm strange, I will check with a dev on this; it might have to do with the fact that the behavior of mod:view is unknown to the JSP Editor, so there is no way for it to know that a variable with the name “view” is generated, so when you type it later, it isn’t aware that you are referring to that varaible of that type.

#222716 Reply

Jim Lombardo

@support-rkalla wrote:

Hmm strange, I will check with a dev on this; it might have to do with the fact that the behavior of mod:view is unknown to the JSP Editor, so there is no way for it to know that a variable with the name “view” is generated, so when you type it later, it isn’t aware that you are referring to that varaible of that type.

The JSP editor should be aware of the mod:view because of the line:

<%@taglib uri=”module-tags” prefix=”mod” %>

#222717 Reply

Riyad Kalla

It is aware of the taglib, but it is not aware of the behavior of the taglib, in this case the definition of a page-scoped variable.

#222834 Reply

Jim Lombardo

@support-rkalla wrote:

It is aware of the taglib, but it is not aware of the behavior of the taglib, in this case the definition of a page-scoped variable.

OK, but just to be clear, this works fine under Eclipse 2 and ME 2.7. So I’m assuming you are treating this as a problem in ME 3.8.3. Correct?

#222836 Reply

Riyad Kalla

I believe so, but not sure until I get a response from the devs.

#222843 Reply

Riyad Kalla

jlombardo,
    After talking at length with the devs about this, we aren’t sure *how* this ever worked under 2.7 since the JSP editor in 3.x series is serverly more powerful. Also considering what would be required for this autocomplete to work is real-time evaluation of the page and the behaviors of the tags, which is not supported nor will it be supported.

If the use case you are talking about used to work in 2.7, there must be something different about it that I am missing here.

#222893 Reply

Jim Lombardo

@support-rkalla wrote:

jlombardo,
    After talking at length with the devs about this, we aren’t sure *how* this ever worked under 2.7 since the JSP editor in 3.x series is serverly more powerful. Also considering what would be required for this autocomplete to work is real-time evaluation of the page and the behaviors of the tags, which is not supported nor will it be supported.

If the use case you are talking about used to work in 2.7, there must be something different about it that I am missing here.

OK, now you’re scaring me. Your team is exceptional at supporting your product, so I can only assume that there is a miscommunication going on here. You can’t really mean what you said in your previous message.

To prove that you are wrong … that version 2.7 DOES handle the autocomplete feature with the custom JSP tag … I am sending you two graphic images in a separate email (is there anyway to do that from this forum?) that document what I am saying.

The first image, “Screen1.gif”, shows the plugin detail under the “About Eclipse Platform” diaglog box. This shows that I am using MyElcipse 2.7.1, Build id: id: 200403241200-2.7.1-GA. In the background you can see the exact code where the autocomplete will be demonstrated, including the custom tag.

In the next image, “Screen2.gif” you can see the autocomplete working just fine. This proves my point and directly conflicts with what you said. One of us is smoking something really interesting.

I’m sending the graphic images now to the email address: support@genuitec.com, ATTN: Riyad. Please review them. Your kind assistance is greatly appreciated.

#222900 Reply

Riyad Kalla

I am convinced that I must be wrong, so let me wait for the screenshots then see what I misunderstood, I’ll get back to you when they arrive. Thank you for being so patient (and informative) with this.

#223070 Reply

Jim Lombardo

@support-rkalla wrote:

I am convinced that I must be wrong, so let me wait for the screenshots then see what I misunderstood, I’ll get back to you when they arrive. Thank you for being so patient (and informative) with this.

I’ve posted the images on a web site so you don’t have to find the email message I sent you. Here are the images discussed in my previous post:

Screen1:
    [IMG]http://www.imagehosting.us/imagehosting/showimg.gif/?id=153542[/IMG]

Screen2:
    [IMG]http://www.imagehosting.us/imagehosting/showimg.gif/?id=153547[/IMG]

#223071 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Ok started another conversation with devs, didn’t know 2.7 did this =/

#223072 Reply

Riyad Kalla

jlombardo,
    We appreciate the screenshots and have filed the request as an enhancement to the current editor. We appreciate you taking the time to explain this in greater detail; I honestly wasn’t aware that our previous editor framework did this and am a little suprised considering the requirements to perform autocomplete of this type real-time.

I have confirmed with the dev that our current editor does not support this for the reasons I stated above, but we will certainly look into it for a future release.

#223188 Reply

Jim Lombardo

@support-rkalla wrote:

jlombardo,
    We appreciate the screenshots and have filed the request as an enhancement to the current editor. We appreciate you taking the time to explain this in greater detail; I honestly wasn’t aware that our previous editor framework did this and am a little suprised considering the requirements to perform autocomplete of this type real-time.

I have confirmed with the dev that our current editor does not support this for the reasons I stated above, but we will certainly look into it for a future release.

Thanks. I very much appreciate your candor and willingness to address this important feature.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Problems with Clean 3.8.3GA Install

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in