facebook

Problems With Saving JSPs

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. UML Development
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

jbrownlee

First, congrats on the 4.0 beta. I was using 3.7M1 and the corresponding 3.8.4 and I must say that it seems improved to me after one day of use.

I am running a fresh install of Eclipse 3.1 (final) and the corresponding 4.0 MyEclipse on Windows XP. I’ve been having a problem in the 3.7M1 version with saving which has continued in the new version. I notice it most in JSPs, but it seems to happen in all of the MyEclipse editors (for example, on struts-config.xml and so forth).

When I save a file, I can save it one time. After that, I always get an error dialog that says:

Save could not be completed.
    Reason:
    Has been changed on the file system

I can use Save As and save the file successfully, but this is somewhat annoying because the position in the file is lost and the editor resets to the top of the file. However, while inconvenient, I can still work this way and save my files.

One thing that might be of interest is that my fiels are on a shared drive, but I never had problems with that in Eclipse 3.0x and MyEclipse 3.8.x. Something changed with the 3.1x versions of Eclipse and the corresponding versions of MyEclipse.

I should also note that I am not having any problems like this with the Eclipse editors; they are working normally.

I’ve been reading the forums and have not seen anyone else report a similar problem, but perhaps I just missed it.

#232079 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

One thing that might be of interest is that my fiels are on a shared drive, but I never had problems with that in Eclipse 3.0x and MyEclipse 3.8.x. Something changed with the 3.1x versions of Eclipse and the corresponding versions of MyEclipse.

That’s really peculiar, and some interaction with the shared drive is certainly the culprit. Strangely, nothing in our low-level editor implementations changed. I suppose it could be an Eclipse 3.1 interaction, but it’s odd that their editors aren’t affected. When the problem occurs, can you see if the mod date on the files is actually changing on the drive between your saves? Also, can you refresh the project in the Package Explorer view (rt-click > Refresh) and then edit more successfully? Can you refresh just the single file when the issue occurs and what does this do?

#232682 Reply

jbrownlee

Scott:

Sorry for the delay in responding — I was off last week.

To answer your questions:

* The timestamp on the file is updated when the file is saved. The odd thing is the first save works correctly; only subsequent saves give the error message.

* A refresh of the file has no effect, you still get the error.

* A refresh of the project has no effect.

* The only thing that makes save work properly is to close the file and re-open it. At that point, you get one save again, then all subsequent saves get the error.

Once again, this seems to be the case in any MyEclipse editor, such as JSP, XML, etc.

I note that someone else was getting the same error in another report, although their scenario sounded a little different than mine.

#233323 Reply

jbrownlee

Just curious if anyone has looked at this and whether the answers above are helpful.

#233376 Reply

Riyad Kalla

jbrown,
    Please create a workspace on your local driver, and then import your project and try and work on it. Does it behave as it should? I am, as is Scott, convinced that there is something going on with this shared drive or possibly a utility that is run on it that is causing this issue to constantly popup.

#245596 Reply

quig06107

Hi,

I’m new to Eclipse and having the same issue. Once I save a file and continue working, I am unable to save on subsequent tries. I, too, am using mapped drives to a remote file system.

I want to use Eclipse because our shop is working with both CF and Java and I think it would be good to use the same IDE, but this is productivity prohibitive.

Thanks,
    quig

#245605 Reply

Brian Fernandes

quig,

I agree it would be impossible to use anything under these circumstances.

If you would please follow the instructions Riyad posted above and let us know what happens?
    We’d like to make sure that this is an issue caused due to the fact that the file you are editing is on remote file system.

Best,
    Brian.

#246741 Reply

ben.robert

I get the same thing. When I copied my project from the network drive to a local, the problem cleared up.

Also, I can use Save As after getting the error, and that will work.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Problems With Saving JSPs

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in