facebook

Pulse installer and OS X

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

David Orriss Jr
    Participant

Just installed ME 6.5 via Pulse (I didn’t like that – please make a all in one for download like you have done with the Windows installer – but I digress)….

Why did you guys decided to install to /Library/MyEclipse 6.5 by default? Doesn’t that violate the Apple usability guidelines for application installers?

#286315 Reply

@daorriss wrote:

Just installed ME 6.5 via Pulse (I didn’t like that – please make a all in one for download like you have done with the Windows installer – but I digress)….

Why did you guys decided to install to /Library/MyEclipse 6.5 by default? Doesn’t that violate the Apple usability guidelines for application installers?

You get application support files (i.e. Pulse cache) in the library folder. The application bundles are in Applications folder.

See this article that describes the Library folder.

#286316 Reply

David Orriss Jr
    Participant

@support-eugene wrote:

@daorriss wrote:

You get application support files (i.e. Pulse cache) in the library folder. The application bundles are in Applications folder.

WRONG. You put the MyEclipse IDE *in* the /Library folder during the Pulse installation. I know because that’s where I’m seeing it. When I get home tonight I’ll screenshot where everything got installed.

#286318 Reply

timwebb
    Keymaster

Correct, the default Pulse installation directories on Mac for the large files are under /Library. We made this decision since Eclipse does not have a native .app-style layout where all files are contained within the app folder. In Pulse 0.9, we did not follow the standard way Eclipse is installed and that caused us issues. In Pulse 2.x, we now drop down a traditional-style Eclipse folder layout though as you say, the default storage location for the files is under /Library (using the Pulse Explorer, we install into by default /Library/Pulse/Software) and create a shortcut from the /Applications/ area over to the actual storage location of the profile. We are continuing to work to have our installs feel and behave as native as possible and continue to try and work with the balance of Eclipse’s oddities on Mac with what our end-users expect.

Thanks,
    Tim

#286322 Reply

David Orriss Jr
    Participant

I’ll doublecheck but I do not think any shortcut was created in the /Applications/ area. I’ll let you know when I get back to my home system.

#286370 Reply

David Orriss Jr
    Participant

OK I see where you’ve put the link in applications over to the library-based installation.. Still seems really odd to me… but I’ll go with it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Pulse installer and OS X

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in