facebook

Really, really fatal Matisse error

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Matisse/Swing UI Development
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

shorero

Environment: Linux cameron 2.6.27-9-server #1 SMP Thu Nov 20 22:53:41 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Installed Eclipse via Pulse. Selected the pre-existing MyEclipse 7.0 profile and added only Subclipse and the pure Java SVN library.

Delete the default Eclipse workspace directory. Start Eclipse – get the generic startup screen (not the usual workspace display). Click on the go-to-workspace button – get an empty project display in the left-hand pane (expected). Create a new project and go to the Java perspective. Check the Matisse prefs and make sure dt.jar is specified properly. Restart Eclipse. Create a new package in the project, and create a new Matisse form type Application named Main.

Problem #1: no display of properties in the new application form. Can’t change the title, for example. No properties for anything dropped into the main form.

Exit Eclipse via the File menu. During the exit, a dialog flashes up on the screen briefly – it seems to have a big red circle on it, but it’s gone before I can see anything else.

Problem #2: Eclipse will now not come up at all. No dialog or anything – it displays the normal workspace display, with the projects in the left pane, and then crashes immediately with no dialog, no warning about a locked workspace, no nothing.

Remove the .lock file from the .metadata directory. No change in behavior – Eclipse still comes up, displays the initial screen, and then crashes with no dialog at all. The only way I can get Eclipse to come up is to blow away the entire workspace.

I’ve tried doing a Pulse reinstall – no change in behavior. The sequence above still disables Eclipse.

Looking at .metadata/.log for the workspace, the first error I see is the following:

======================================

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2009-01-22 10:32:34.248
    !MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.eclipse.albireo.internal.GlobalFocusHandler.clearFocusOwner(GlobalFocusHandler.java:118)
    at org.eclipse.albireo.internal.GlobalFocusHandler$SwtEventFilter.handleEvent(GlobalFocusHandler.java:223)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.filterEvent(Display.java:1436)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1157)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1182)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1163)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Shell.setActiveControl(Shell.java:1245)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.sendFocusEvent(Control.java:3296)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.gtk_event_after(Control.java:2684)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.windowProc(Widget.java:1538)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.windowProc(Control.java:4506)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.windowProc(Display.java:4099)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS._gtk_main_do_event(Native Method)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS.gtk_main_do_event(OS.java:5792)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.eventProc(Display.java:1177)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS._g_main_context_iteration(Native Method)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS.g_main_context_iteration(OS.java:1550)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3031)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2382)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2346)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2198)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:493)
    at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:288)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:488)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:113)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:193)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:386)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:549)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:504)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1236)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1212)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2009-01-22 10:32:34.381
    !MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.eclipse.albireo.internal.GlobalFocusHandler.clearFocusOwner(GlobalFocusHandler.java:118)

and so on

=========================================

That is, Eclipse seems to be spewing these NPEs. At the end of the .log I find a different stack trace:

=====================================
    !ENTRY org.eclipse.ui.workbench 4 0 2009-01-22 10:48:23.570
    !MESSAGE Widget disposed too early!
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.RuntimeException: Widget disposed too early!
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference$1.widgetDisposed(WorkbenchPartReference.java:171)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:117)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1158)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1182)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1163)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.release(Widget.java:1026)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.release(Control.java:3221)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Composite.releaseChildren(Composite.java:1184)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.release(Widget.java:1029)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Canvas.releaseChildren(Canvas.java:211)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Decorations.releaseChildren(Decorations.java:466)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Shell.releaseChildren(Shell.java:1948)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.dispose(Widget.java:442)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Shell.dispose(Shell.java:1893)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.release(Display.java:3083)
    at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.Device.dispose(Device.java:237)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:129)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:193)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:386)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:549)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:504)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1236)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1212)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui.workbench 4 0 2009-01-22 10:48:23.571
    !MESSAGE Widget disposed too early!
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.RuntimeException: Widget disposed too early!
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference$1.widgetDisposed(WorkbenchPartReference.java:171)
    and so on

==================================

Once again, Eclipse seems to be spewing these errors.

#293852 Reply

Loyal Water

shorero,
    The configuration information you had posted was not helpful so I deleted it from the post. Can you go to MyEclipse > Installation Summary > Installation Details and paste the information here for me.

Also, are you working on 64 bit linux? I would suggest you try the MyEclipse All in One installer for the linux OS. That should fix the issue for you.

#293861 Reply

That particular machine is not 64 bits. I’m offsite at the moment but will add the install details as soon as I get back (early next week).

re all-in-one: OK. This means that Pulse isn’t quite right for 64 bit Linux machines??

#293865 Reply

To verify the 32 bit nature of the current problem: see the uname output (1st line of the original post).

re installer again: Is the manual, non-Pulse likely to solve the problem for this 32-bit machine? Should I simply go back to manual installs (Lord knows I did ’em a lot prior to Pulse) and avoid the dark side of the Pulse? I really don’t mind doing the manual install once I know to stay away from Pulse. I’d much rather have a stable development platform (which I don’t have now for either 32 bit or 64 bit platforms), where I have to do a bit more work, than the current situation, where everytime I do a Pulse install or upgrade I find a whole new set of things that don’t work.

Right now the only stable platform I’ve got is a myeclipse 6.5 install done via Pulse that Pulse (thank God) is unable to update for whatever reason. Matisse works fine, and I have no problems with J2EE deployment (I’ve got a posting on the bug forum for that one). When they work, it looks like myeclipse 7.x has some nicer features, but it’s the “when they work” issue. As I commented in the new-feature survey, I need stability, and the fact that (a) you’re talking about new features when (b) I can’t keep a 7.0 install running on either 32-bit or 64-bit hosts makes me really, really nervous. Are you overreaching what you can support wrt Eclipse platforms? Maybe you should give serious thought to dropping support for Linux entirely. It’d break my heart, since I like the Eclipse/MyEclipse combination, but the frustration of finding what look to me like bugs when I’m working against a deadline is really getting old, and it can’t be pleasant (or inexpensive) for you either.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Really, really fatal Matisse error

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in