facebook

Reverse Engineering class diagrams including Java EE

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. UML Development
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

ddaniels

Hi,

I’m working with a large body of existing Java code that has no previous UML diagrams (or at least none that we can get). We’re trying to get a feel for the code and its nice to look at class diagrams to create overviews of what’s going on.

The reverse engineering from Java code works great, and I have it include Interface/Inheritance information so I can see how the classes are related. My problem is that I want the class diagrams to also display interface relationships to compiled classes, such as Java EE classes.

For example we have classes that implements MessageDrivenBean from the javax.ejb package, but I cannot figure out how to include the MessageDrivenBean interface in the diagram. I try to drag it from the MessageDrivenBean.class from the J2EE jar I have in my project, but that won’t work.

Maybe it can’t be done right now, but seeing as eclipse and other IDE’s can easily reflect the known methods of an interface or compiled class, it’d be useful to include them in the diagrams so that I can see how this code is implementing the various JEE interfaces.

#261923 Reply

Riyad Kalla

ddaniels,
    Actually you did the right thing, trying to DnD it from the package onto the diagram… what version of MyEclipse are you using? (MyEclipse > Installation Summary > Installation Details will show you the system info)

#261960 Reply

ddaniels

So I’m trying to drag the MessageDrivenBean.class (From the expanded jboss-j2ee.jar in the Package Explorer view) onto my Class diagram and it won’t work. I also tried dragging the MessageDrivenBean.class onto the outline view.

Here’s a screenshot of me attempting to do it. (You can’t see but there is an invalid operation symbol for my mouse where I’m trying to drag it onto the class diagram).

Here’s MyEclipse info:

*** Date:
    Wednesday, November 15, 2006 3:56:20 PM EST

** System properties:
    OS=WindowsXP
    OS version=5.1
    Java version=1.5.0_08

*** MyEclipse details:
    MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench
    Version: 5.1.0 GA
    Build id: 20061111-5.1.0-GA

*** Eclipse details:
    MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench

Version: 5.1.0 GA
    Build id: 20061111-5.1.0-GA

Eclipse Graphical Editing Framework

Version: 3.2.1.v20060921
    Build id: 20060921-1617

Eclipse Platform

Version: 3.2.1.r321_v20060921-b_XVA-INSQSyMtx
    Build id: M20060921-0945

Eclipse RCP

Version: 3.2.1.r321_v20060801-2ekW2BxmcpPUOoq

Eclipse Java Development Tools

Version: 3.2.1.r321_v20060905-R4CM1Znkvre9wC-

Eclipse Project SDK

Version: 3.2.1.r321_v20060801-tQ1w49KnTArT0FZ

Eclipse startup command=-os
    win32
    -ws
    win32
    -arch
    x86
    -launcher
    C:\Program Files\MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench 5.1.0 GA\eclipse\eclipse.exe
    -name
    Eclipse
    -showsplash
    -exitdata
    aac_7c
    -clean
    -vm
    C:\Program Files\MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench 5.1.0 GA\jre\bin\javaw.exe

#261967 Reply

Riyad Kalla

I’m looking into this, I was able to reproduce the same problem here locally.

#262019 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Ok I looked into it and as it turns out work on this had started at one point then stopped due to time constraints. Management has asked me to add your comments to the issue and we will try and address this soon. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

#262987 Reply

ddaniels

Riyad,

What’s the time frame look like on the addition of this feature, I’d be interested in knowing when it would be ready for me to use. Thanks!

#263003 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Great timing, our product manager targetted this for our 5.1.1 release 3 minutes ago. So it will be in that release.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Reverse Engineering class diagrams including Java EE

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in