facebook

Servlet debugging(jsr-045 support) inJboss 4.0 RC1/MyE-3.8.2

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

robinsingh

ENVIRONMENT DETAILS:
    I have configured myEclipse with jboss 4.0 RC1
    on windows XP professional(SP2) using Java[TM] 2 Platform,
    Eclipse Platform
    Version: 3.0.0
    Build id: 200406251208
    jdk version(build 1.4.2_05-b04)
    myEclipse 3.8.2 GA

hi i had posted a problem (2 days ago)http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-viewtopic-t-4292.html in which i was trying to debug a servlet (wich is showing null value for a variable)
    I have tried setting the breakpoint by doule-clicking on the left pane in editor.
    then refreshed the html form , gave in the values again -> pressed submit
    hoping this time the application wont go past the breakpoint and will help me debug the error by opening theDEBUG perspective (Hope that’s all rite..)
    but nothing happens ..control flow goes past the breakpoint
    and jboss 4.0 RC1 inadvertently still throws the same Exceptions regardless of the breakpoints being set before the problem creating
    program statement.
    now i dont believe that jboss 4.0 Rc1 doesnt support jsr-045 specification.
    for jsp/servlet debugging..!
    kindly help why is this happening.
    by the way, this servelt web application is a part of an enterprise project
    wich has 1 entity and session bean each in its ejbApp. part .
    does that make a difference. ?( ummm..i suspect this might be the case..
    but i wanna make sure )
    but i still should be able to debug my SErvlet in any case, shudnt I !!?

please help
    regards
    robin

#217306 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Robin,
    This setup *should* work fine. JBoss uses Tomcat 5 as a servlet engine, which definately supports the JSR 45 spec. So can you give me the following:

1) The <form> snippet of JSP code from your page
    2) The Servlet code for the doXXX method that you have your breakpoint set in
    3) The web.xml entries (Servlet and servlet mapping) That you have for this servlet?

ALso make sure JBoss 4 is being started in Debug mode (the Launch properties under the JBOss 4 connector).

#217309 Reply

robinsingh

well u r last question , pointed mymistake out.

ALso make sure JBoss 4 is being started in Debug mode (the Launch properties under the JBOss 4 connector).

though i had the debug mode on in the myEclipse , but
    i was running the jboss 4 from command prompt using command
    run -c default
    that’s why it was not running in debug mode..( i think so ..i dont know the command to run the jboss in debug mode from the command prompt)
    (the reason i do that i notice that myEclipse behaves a bit slower in everything i do if i run the jboss in the myEclipse,is it a logically right observation or its just my own feeling..
    anyway , can u tell me the option , that i need to use in my command
    on dos console to run the jboss A.S in debug mode. !!

))
    anyway , i started the jboss in myEclipse and my Debug prospective opens up and let me do the debugging .
    Hopefully i can do my debugging way easily than earlier .
    thanks.,
    robin
    [/b]

#217314 Reply

Riyad Kalla

the reason i do that i notice that myEclipse behaves a bit slower in everything i do if i run the jboss in the myEclipse,is it a logically right observation or its just my own feeling..
    anyway

Some other people have seen this when they have a lot of projects open, or don’t give JBoss enough memory to startup (try assing “-Xmx512m” to your optional VM args box in the JDK settings for your connector)

can u tell me the option , that i need to use in my command
    on dos console to run the jboss A.S in debug mode. !!

I have no idea what it is… but I bet the nice people over at JBoss would tell you 😉

#217316 Reply

robinsingh

but my laptop has only 256 MB ram , i dont think then i can do this..rite..!!?

try assing “-Xmx512m” to your optional VM args box in the JDK settings for your connector)

#217324 Reply

Riyad Kalla

256MB of ram is just enough to be running Eclipse 3.0 + MyEclipse, if you are running a JBoss server in addition to this, I think you milage may vary… try passing “128” or “256” then in the argument. The default is 64, so anymore than that should help.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Servlet debugging(jsr-045 support) inJboss 4.0 RC1/MyE-3.8.2

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in