facebook

shortcuts/documentation

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. UML Development
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Gary White

Is there any documentation of keyboard shortcuts for MyUML? The documentation seems to be pretty sparse and I can’t find them anywhere.

The specific problem I’m now encountering is when I’m entering multiple attributes or operations for a class. I am currently having to pick up the mouse to create a new one after each entry and it’s getting unbelievably tedious. There must be a way to allow continuous entry without going back and forth between the mouse and keyboard.

This is just one of many examples where the interface seems to be counterintuitive/difficult to use/klunky. Other examples include the lack of context menus for many operations and the lack of cut and paste capabilities (among others).

Thanks for your help,
    Gary

#251883 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Is there any documentation of keyboard shortcuts for MyUML? The documentation seems to be pretty sparse and I can’t find them anywhere.

Unfortunately no, we don’t typically document keybindings.

I’ll see if anyone from the UML team has any tips.

#252093 Reply

Gary White

@support-rkalla wrote:

Anything yet?

This is actually a very simple question that anyone supporting the product should know. Saying that “we don’t typically document keybindings” is like saying “we don’t tell you how to use our product; we’re going to make you guess.” There should be a way to insert new attributes/operations from the keyboard. If there’s not, then I would classify this as an unbelievable amateurish interface.

Please advise.

#252097 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Perhaps my choice of wording was poor. All key bindings can be adjusted from the Window > Preferences > General > Keys menu. What was referring to not knowing is out of the 1000s of bindable-commands, I’m not sure if we explicitly expose the particular UML commands (navigation, editing and otherwise). After checking with the UML development team, it seems we don’t explicitly export these bindings yet.

#252099 Reply

Gary White

Let’s start over and try to keep this simple (KISS):

Is there a way to insert new attributes/operations from the keyboard?

If so, how?

If not, will there be in the future?

If so, when?

If not, why not? (this is a extremely basic feature that should be implemented)

#252108 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Is there a way to insert new attributes/operations from the keyboard?

No. All mappable actions are defined under the Keys section of Eclipse. You can only bind/rebind mappings to those actions defined in that area.

If not, why not? (this is a extremely basic feature that should be implemented)

If you are asking about a plugin that doesn’t yet expose it’s key bindings (in this case the UML editor) it would depend on user demand. I’m not aware of specific plans to expose the UML key bindings for remapping like you are asking about. I have filed your request as an enhancement for our management team to prioritize and decide if we do or not, but as with all our work, it is based on user demand.

If that sounds harsh, it’s not meant to be. Just the simply plain truth of how we would progress with this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: shortcuts/documentation

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in