facebook

Stuck on "Quick Update"

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

pirtle

I just downloaded and installed the latest MyEclipse (entire Windows build, including Eclipse and Java). When it launched, it asked me something about installing or updating some components. I think one was Matisse one was IceFaces. I don’t remember exactly. Anyway, I said, why not. So I checked all the boxes and clicked update (or whatever the button said).

It seemed to be doing some updating. The lower right hand corner status kept updating. It kept saying “Quick Update (n%)”, and the “n” kept increasing as expected. But it got stuck on 47%, and has been stuck there for over half and hour.

Has anybody seen this? If I stop and restart Eclipse will that clear it up? Any suggestions?

#287427 Reply

Loyal Water

Can you go to MyEclipse > Installation Summary > Installation Details and past the information here for me.

Try restarting MyEclipse. Does that help ?

#287448 Reply

pirtle

After restarting, it seemed to pick up where it left off. It seemed to finish updating, then asked me to restart. After restarting, I got an error. I posted the error at the end of this message. I think it was trying to load the Welcome view, but not sure. So I restarted again. Even though I left off from my Workbench view, it started in the Welcome view. So I went to the Workbench view again and restarted. After that restart, everything seems to look okay. Here is the error I got. It doesn’t seem to have caused any problems. But just in case.

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.intro.impl.model.IntroModelRoot.getBase(IntroModelRoot.java:861)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.intro.impl.model.IntroModelRoot.resolveConfigExtension(IntroModelRoot.java:387)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.intro.impl.model.IntroModelRoot.tryResolvingExtensions(IntroModelRoot.java:437)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.intro.impl.model.IntroModelRoot.resolveConfigExtension(IntroModelRoot.java:429)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.intro.impl.model.IntroModelRoot.resolveConfigExtension(IntroModelRoot.java:377)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.intro.impl.model.IntroModelRoot.resolveConfigExtensions(IntroModelRoot.java:346)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.intro.impl.model.IntroModelRoot.resolveChildren(IntroModelRoot.java:227)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.intro.impl.model.AbstractIntroContainer.getChildren(AbstractIntroContainer.java:86)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.intro.impl.model.IntroModelRoot.loadModel(IntroModelRoot.java:150)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.intro.impl.model.loader.BaseExtensionPointManager.loadModel(BaseExtensionPointManager.java:95)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.intro.impl.model.loader.ExtensionPointManager.loadCurrentModel(ExtensionPointManager.java:61)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.intro.impl.model.loader.ExtensionPointManager.getCurrentModel(ExtensionPointManager.java:73)
    at org.eclipse.ui.intro.config.CustomizableIntroPart.init(CustomizableIntroPart.java:151)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ViewIntroAdapterPart.init(ViewIntroAdapterPart.java:156)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ViewReference.createPartHelper(ViewReference.java:343)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ViewReference.createPart(ViewReference.java:227)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(WorkbenchPartReference.java:592)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Perspective.showView(Perspective.java:2086)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyShowView(WorkbenchPage.java:1027)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.access$19(WorkbenchPage.java:1008)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$19.run(WorkbenchPage.java:3684)
    at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:67)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.showView(WorkbenchPage.java:3681)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.showView(WorkbenchPage.java:3657)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchIntroManager.createIntro(WorkbenchIntroManager.java:173)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchIntroManager.showIntro(WorkbenchIntroManager.java:120)
    at org.eclipse.ui.application.WorkbenchWindowAdvisor.openIntro(WorkbenchWindowAdvisor.java:173)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEWorkbenchWindowAdvisor.openIntro(IDEWorkbenchWindowAdvisor.java:456)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.open(WorkbenchWindow.java:753)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$61.runWithException(Workbench.java:3389)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.StartupThreading$StartupRunnable.run(StartupThreading.java:31)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:35)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:129)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java:3659)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3296)
    at org.eclipse.ui.application.WorkbenchAdvisor.openWindows(WorkbenchAdvisor.java:801)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$25.runWithException(Workbench.java:1342)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.StartupThreading$StartupRunnable.run(StartupThreading.java:31)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:35)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:129)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java:3659)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3296)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2309)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2219)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$4.run(Workbench.java:466)
    at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:289)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:461)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:106)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:169)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:106)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:76)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:363)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:176)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:508)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:447)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1173)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1148)

#287455 Reply

Loyal Water

This error doesn’t really give any pointers to the root of the issue but Im glad its working fine now. Let me know incase the problem reappears. Sorry for the hicckup.

#287464 Reply

Richly
    Participant

I have the same problem installing Matisse. After a break, I’m getting back to Java programming and instead of returning to MyEclipse version 6.0 I’ve used in the past, I installed MyEclipse_6.5.1GA_E3.3.2_Installer.exe. I’ve now tried to install Matisse several times — including uninstalling 6.5 because I used a non-standard directory and then reinstalling it in the default location. Nevertheless, each time I try to install Matisse, either automatically or manually, it hangs at 91% and then ultimately posts the error message

An exception occurred while downloading feature from “http://downloads.myeclipseide.com/downloads/products/eworkbench/discovery-6.5/features/com.genuitec.myeclipse.matisse_6.5.0.zmyeclipse650200806.jar”.

Since you have asked others for their installation log, I’ll include mine here:

*** Date:
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:50:55 PM EDT

** System properties:
    OS=WindowsXP
    OS version=5.1
    Java version=1.5.0_11

*** MyEclipse details:
    MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench
    Version: 6.5.1 GA
    Build id: 6.5.1-GA-20080715

*** Eclipse details:

Eclipse Platform

Version: 3.3.3.r33x_r20080129-_19UEl7Ezk_gXF1kouft
    Build id: M20080221-1800

Eclipse RCP

Version: 3.3.3.r33x_r20080129-8y8eE9UEUWI6qujeED0xT7bc

Eclipse Java Development Tools

Version: 3.3.2.r33x_r20080129-7o7jE7_EDhYDiyVEnjb1pFd7ZGD7

Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment

Version: 3.3.3.r33x_r20080129-7N7M5DQVIA_6oJsEFkEL

Eclipse Project SDK

Version: 3.3.3.r33x_r20080129-7M7J7LB-u3aphGW6o3_VmiVfGXWO

Eclipse Graphical Editing Framework

Version: 3.3.2.v20080129
    Build id: 20080221-1602

Eclipse startup command=-os
    win32
    -ws
    win32
    -arch
    x86
    -showsplash
    -launcher
    C:\Program Files\MyEclipse 6.5\eclipse\eclipse.exe
    -name
    Eclipse
    –launcher.library
    C:\Program Files\MyEclipse 6.5\eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.0.3.R33x_v20080118\eclipse_1023.dll
    -startup
    C:\Program Files\MyEclipse 6.5\eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.1.R33x_v20080118.jar
    -exitdata
    100_7c
    -clean
    -vm
    C:\Program Files\MyEclipse 6.5\jre\bin\javaw.exe

#287465 Reply

Richly
    Participant

One more thing I’ve noticed: when the update hangs, it kills my Internet connection. My email client complains that the server isn’t responding, nslookup fails to find its server, Firefox cannot connect to any URL. Internet connectivity is restored once I exit MyEclipse. This is totally bizarre behavior!

#287501 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Richly,
    This sounds like something fishy with your connection on your end… there physically isn’t the native-library support in the Eclipse platform required for us to kill a connection in an operating system 😀

Are you behind a proxy? Maybe it’s cutting you off or do you have any security software running that might be killing the connection because it’s heavy traffic and thinks you have a virus?

#287511 Reply

Richly
    Participant

Unless PC-cillin does something unexpected or my ISP (Verizon) has some terribly strange policy, this is not the problem. I have a FiOS connection (20 Mb/s) so size and speed are never a problem on my end. In addition. I successfully downloaded com.genuitec.myeclipse.matisse_6.5.0.zmyeclipse650200806 both as a .zip and a .jar file (and they are bit-for-bit identical) — if I could only figure out how to install it, I’d be OK. In any case, the file is only 12,475 bytes long, not something that would raise any flags based on a simple size or traffic basis.

Also, I should point out that the communications lockup doesn’t happen every time, just most times.

– R

#287519 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Richly,
    The fact that you have FIOS is triggering my “jealously” algorithm in the IDE 🙂

Can we try shutting down the real-time security software then running the udpate and seeing if it completes? Given your setup I really have no idea why it’s failing… just to make sure I ran the update on two separate machines (1 Pro and 1 Blue) to make sure they completed and all seemed OK.

#287528 Reply

Richly
    Participant

No joy. I turned off PC-cillin and tried again, but it still doesn’t work; same problem. Is there some manual way to install the com.genuitec.myeclipse.matisse_6.5.0.zmyeclipse650200806.jar file that I’ve downloaded?

#287534 Reply

Richly
    Participant

I’ve now managed to install Matisse and the other two features that were on offer. At some point, each of the successful installations required that I click in a pop-up window. I am wondering if my unsuccessful installations happened because the pop-up confirmation window was hidden behind the workbench window, and I didn’t see it so I didn’t click on it in time. Do they eventually time out and report an “error”?

This may not be relevant, but the only times I was successful in installing was when I chose Help | Software Updates | Find and Install… instead of using the Quick Install feature.

There were no changes in NAT, firewall, or other security settings between unsuccessful and successful installations — indeed, they followed one after the other almost immediately — so I’m mystified about what determined success or failure.

#287613 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Richly,
    Thank you for circling back and letting us know it finally completed. The other method you mentioned is infact a separate code-path and is possible it will yield different results… very interesting. I’ve made a note for the dev team to investigate the potential issue here. I know going forward at some point we will supplement the Add Features ability directly with Pulse so it won’t live much longer in the IDE as-is.

#291098 Reply

Richly
    Participant

Well, here we are almost four months later, and the same problem has occurred. Same symptoms, including freezing all network connections.

I have installed and rely on Matisse, but I can’t install the Matisse update that Quick Updates says is there; it hangs at 96%. As before, if I copy (laboriously, because I can’t cut-and-paste it) the site of the download, I can obtain the entire file (though I have no idea how to install from it — instructions please!)

If I go to Help>Software Updates>Find and Install…>Search for updates of the currently installed features and select the first site offered (Georgia Tech), I get the response “No updates for the currently installed feature(s) found, try again later.”

Are there updates or not? Can Quick Updates be made to install them? Can they be distributed to the download sites so we can install them without Quick Updates?

Thanks,
    – R

#291141 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Richly,

Can you post your install summary from MyEclipse > Installation Summary > Installation Details for me? There wasn’t a Matisse update between 6.5 and 6.6, so if you are seeing one listed that’s wrong. If you are on an older version of MyEclipse (6.0 or 6.0.1) it might be easier to just a new fresh install of MyEclipse 6.6 using the installer from the download page.

Also in MyEclipse 7.0 everything is bundled in and the update functionality has been completely replaced with Pulse which makes it considerably more robust.

#291338 Reply

Richly
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I didn’t reply sooner. I’ll have to try to figure out why I didn’t receive an email telling me of the activity on the topic — probably some overly aggressive SPAM filter.

When do you expect 7.0 to be released?

Below is the the installation summary you requested.
    – R

*** Date: 
    Monday, November 24, 2008 1:28:08 PM EST

** System properties:
    OS=WindowsXP
    OS version=5.1
    Java version=1.5.0_11

*** MyEclipse details:

*** Eclipse details:

Eclipse Platform

Version: 3.3.3.r33x_r20080129-_19UEl7Ezk_gXF1kouft

Eclipse RCP

Version: 3.3.3.r33x_r20080129-8y8eE9UEUWI6qujeED0xT7bc

Eclipse Java Development Tools

Version: 3.3.2.r33x_r20080129-7o7jE7_EDhYDiyVEnjb1pFd7ZGD7

Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment

Version: 3.3.3.r33x_r20080129-7N7M5DQVIA_6oJsEFkEL

Eclipse Project SDK

Version: 3.3.3.r33x_r20080129-7M7J7LB-u3aphGW6o3_VmiVfGXWO

Eclipse Graphical Editing Framework

Version: 3.3.2.v20080129
    Build id: 20080221-1602

Eclipse startup command=-os
    win32
    -ws
    win32
    -arch
    x86
    -showsplash
    -launcher
    C:\Program Files\MyEclipse 6.5\eclipse\eclipse.exe
    -name
    Eclipse
    --launcher.library
    C:\Program Files\MyEclipse 6.5\eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.0.3.R33x_v20080118\eclipse_1023.dll
    -startup
    C:\Program Files\MyEclipse 6.5\eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.1.R33x_v20080118.jar
    -exitdata
    1014_8c
    -clean
    -vm
    C:\Program Files\MyEclipse 6.5\jre\bin\javaw.exe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Stuck on "Quick Update"

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in