facebook

Support for Alternate Copilots?

1. Copilot4Eclipse – GitHub Copilot on Eclipse
  2.  > 
  3. General Discussion
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Jason Warner
    Participant

At the beginning of the month, I signed up for copilot to try out it and the eclipse plugin. I had to wait a week for the new MyEclipse – but now everything is working. Like with many things, the story keeps changing…

I just received an email that my company has authorized/licensed us to use Microsoft Copilot (copilot.microsoft.com). I’m not sure what’s different between Microsoft Copilot and Github Copilot – Is it just URL? Is it an API change? Is everything? Is Nothing different?

Any chance that we the Copilot4Eclipse would be supporting this?

#701481 Reply

wayne

Hi Jason,

I can see how the overloaded Copilot terminology can be confusing. This question is better asked of the Microsoft Copilot team.

With that said, I’ll share my limited understanding as of June ’24. GitHub Copilot is specialized for developers providing deep tool integration across an number of IDEs and GitHub’s own web portal. Microsoft Copilot (copilot.microsoft.com) is a more general AI for a wider audience than GitHub Copilot’s coding focus. And Microsoft Copilot is not deeply integrated into the developer tool chain as GitHub Copilot. A fun example is to ask both Microsoft Copilot and GitHub Chat “what is the most popular shade of blue.” Microsoft Copilot will return a long interesting answer, while GitHub Copilot will respond that such questions are out of scope for it’s AI.

Where Copilot4Eclipse fits into this question is that it is focused on providing a deep AI integration into Eclipse powered by the GitHub Copilot services. Thus you will need a GitHub Copilot subscription to use Copilot4Eclipse in your Eclipse IDE. We are excited to see that GitHub Copilot continues to rapidly roll out new developer AI services that we are concentrating on delivering to the Eclipse developer community as quickly as possible.

Wayne
    Copilot4Eclipse Team

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by wayne.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Support for Alternate Copilots?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in