facebook

UML and versioning

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. UML Development
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Andy

Guys,
    I’m a new user of your product and thik its great!

UML Editor is a great feature, but i think it would be useful to be able to version control the diagrams. Is there any plan to support this through cvs/subversion plugins?

Thanks,
    Andy.

#230895 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Andy,
    The UML diagrams are stored in .umr files, you can check those files into cvs just like other project files and let the source control system version them for you.

Were you having trouble doing this?

#231401 Reply

Andy

Hi Riyad,
    Have it working with subversion now. I guess you still need to be careful who is eniting the file to ensure changes are not lost. Binary files are a pain in that way.
    Andy.

#231422 Reply

Werner Punz

Not really, the latest SVN supports explicit locking, just lock the file if you edit it and release it afterwards.
    The explicit locking was introduced due to the fact that some people had exactly the same problem with not wanting conflicts in binary files.

#231481 Reply

Andy

Thanks Riyad. Just found some test RPMs for svn 1.2 and it seems to work with latest subeclipse plugin. Better than before!

#231482 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

We’re looking at modifying hte UML save format so that you can have either the compressed zip, or several XML files. Would that be of value?

#241497 Reply

joril

@support-scott wrote:

We’re looking at modifying hte UML save format so that you can have either the compressed zip, or several XML files. Would that be of value?

It would be of GREAT value 🙂
    That way I could use a SVN property such as svn:keyword and dynamically show in the diagram itself the SVN revision..
    Are you really working on this? 🙂

#241505 Reply

Riyad Kalla

joril,
    There has been no indication of interest in this from our users besides you and 2 other people at this time. While it is on our todo list, it is lower priority right now than some of the more popular items.

I can ask management again if this is low cost enough to “just get in there”.

#241525 Reply

joril

@support-rkalla wrote:

While it is on our todo list, it is lower priority right now than some of the more popular items.

I understand :/

@support-rkalla wrote:

I can ask management again if this is low cost enough to “just get in there”.

Many thanks, I hope they’ll let it through since it would allow for some nifty tricks, as I said earlier 🙂

#241527 Reply

Riyad Kalla

I would like to point out that the expanded files are *quite* large. An example UMR we use internally 600k or so in UMR format, but uncompressed I believe it is around 22MB, so providing this option certainly has it’s down sides (and you can see why they are compressed to start off with).

#241532 Reply

joril

@support-rkalla wrote:

(and you can see why they are compressed to start off with).

I see, but I prefer to use one diagram per UMR (easier to share with coworkers), so they never get that big 🙂
    (In my company I even pushed the use of RTF over DOC for the sake of versioning “plain text” over binary X-) )

#241533 Reply

Riyad Kalla

No worries, I’ve still sent the request in.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: UML and versioning

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in