facebook

UML Class Diagram Printing

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. UML Development
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Craig Peters

I can’t seem to get a clean print out of UML class diagrams. Every diagram I print prompts me that the diagram is too big to fit on a page and asks if I want to resize it. Regardless of whether I answer yes or no, the page rendered is barely readable.

Is there some way to print so that text isn’t stretched and made unreadable, or do I need a specific font installed or something??

Also, FYI — after printing, the class diagram screen is left in a weird state — the graphics are messed up, and sometimes a ghost copy of the diagram tool bar is displayed in the middle of the diagram. If you do something like a page up/down its seems to get straightened out. I don’t think this has any effect other than cosmetic.

Thanks,
    -Craig

#231703 Reply

Craig Peters

I should have stated my config:

– Both MyEclipse 4.0M1 and M2
    – Windows XP SP1
    – Sun JDK 1.4.2_08
    – Eclipse 3.0.2

#231704 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Craig,
    Thank you, we will look into this ASAP.

#231709 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Craig,

I’d suggest you simply export the file as an image and then print from your image manipulation software. It will likely give you the flexibility you need.

#231733 Reply

Kapil Kapre

@craigrpeters wrote:

I can’t seem to get a clean print out of UML class diagrams. Every diagram I print prompts me that the diagram is too big to fit on a page and asks if I want to resize it. Regardless of whether I answer yes or no, the page rendered is barely readable.

Is there some way to print so that text isn’t stretched and made unreadable, or do I need a specific font installed or something??

Also, FYI — after printing, the class diagram screen is left in a weird state — the graphics are messed up, and sometimes a ghost copy of the diagram tool bar is displayed in the middle of the diagram. If you do something like a page up/down its seems to get straightened out. I don’t think this has any effect other than cosmetic.

Thanks,
    -Craig

Craig,
    Could you please try increasing the font-size of the text. The default font size was a tradeoff between on-screen usability and printing-quality(for text) You can find the UML Preferences at MyEclipse->UML under the preferences dialog. I would suggest size 10 for printing.
    Re:Graphics Issue , It has been filed and we will be looking at it soon.

#231821 Reply

Craig Peters

Kapil,

I tried 10 and 12 point and it didn’t improve readability too much. 14 point however worked pretty well, when combined with “Shrink to Fit”.

Sizing the diagram to be generally readable and then exporting to file, and importing to e.g. Word to print also works fine.

Thanks for you help,
    -Craig

#231832 Reply

Craig Peters

One other thing — when I changed the font size as you described, I always get the following error message displayed:

“Error notifying a preference change listener. Check the log for details.”

I get this message sometimes 3-4 times in a row.

Following is the stack trace from the error log:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.runtime 4 2 Jun 28, 2005 11:12:51.489
    !MESSAGE Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: “org.eclipse.core.runtime”.
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unrecognized object [null]
    at org.argouml.model.uml.NSUMLModelFacade.illegalArgument(Unknown Source)
    at org.argouml.model.uml.NSUMLModelFacade.illegalArgumentCollection(Unknown Source)
    at org.argouml.model.uml.NSUMLModelFacade.getStructuralFeatures(Unknown Source)
    at org.argouml.uml.diagram.static_structure.ui.FigClass.updateAttributes(Unknown Source)
    at org.argouml.uml.diagram.static_structure.ui.FigClass.updateFigStyle(Unknown Source)
    at org.argouml.uml.diagram.static_structure.ui.UMLClassDiagram.applyStylePref(Unknown Source)
    at org.argouml.uml.diagram.static_structure.ui.UMLClassDiagram.propertyChange(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.ui.plugin.AbstractUIPlugin$2.run(AbstractUIPlugin.java:276)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.run(InternalPlatform.java:616)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:747)
    at org.eclipse.ui.plugin.AbstractUIPlugin$CompatibilityPreferenceStore.firePropertyChangeEvent(AbstractUIPlugin.java:274)
    at org.eclipse.jface.preference.PreferenceConverter.setValue(PreferenceConverter.java:460)
    at org.eclipse.jface.preference.FontFieldEditor.doStore(FontFieldEditor.java:233)
    at org.eclipse.jface.preference.FieldEditor.store(FieldEditor.java:586)
    at org.eclipse.jface.preference.FieldEditorPreferencePage.performOk(FieldEditorPreferencePage.java:313)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.uml.preference.UMLPreferencePage.performOk(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.jface.preference.PreferenceDialog$11.run(PreferenceDialog.java:746)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.run(InternalPlatform.java:616)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:747)
    at org.eclipse.jface.preference.PreferenceDialog.okPressed(PreferenceDialog.java:728)
    at org.eclipse.jface.preference.PreferenceDialog.buttonPressed(PreferenceDialog.java:199)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.dialogs.WorkbenchPreferenceDialog.buttonPressed(WorkbenchPreferenceDialog.java:75)
    at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog$2.widgetSelected(Dialog.java:506)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:89)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:82)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:796)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:2773)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2432)
    at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:668)
    at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:648)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.OpenPreferencesAction.run(OpenPreferencesAction.java:72)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.Action.runWithEvent(Action.java:881)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:915)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:866)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$7.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:785)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:82)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:796)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:2773)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2432)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1377)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1348)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:254)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:141)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:96)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:335)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:273)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:129)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:185)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:704)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:688)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: UML Class Diagram Printing

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in