facebook

UML – Generate Java – Possible Problem?

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. UML Development
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

tpeterson

Hello,

First, I just want to say I am really excited that the UML stuff is finally getting here.

I still haven’t found out how to import existing code into a model yet, but I took a different approach and just created a new class on a diagram. When I selected the menu item UML > Generate Java it gave me the opportunity to browse to a location where I could put the generated output. When I selected the /src folder of my project it told me that the folder didn’t exist and asked me if I wanted to create it.

Basically, it’s defaulting the output to the workspace for my project, which I keep seperate from my project files. There was no way to direct it to the folder I already had prepared, because the “Browse” dialog had the project as the root of the tree making it impossible for me to go anywhere except for the workspace for my project.

I hope this is helpful feedback. Keep up the good work guys.

Tony Peterson

#229691 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Tony,

I still haven’t found out how to import existing code into a model yet

That will be in 4.0M2. 🙂 We concentrated on drawing for this milestone.

Thanks for the feedback on generation; it really helps!

#229697 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

Yes, the JavaCodegen output is currently “optimized” 😉 to allow browsing and generation to any location in the current workspace. From your description it sounds like the output location you are selecting is an external folder. Is this correct? Is it also a Java src folder?

Also is your request to be able to output to any filesystem location?

#229706 Reply

tpeterson

@support-michael wrote:

From your description it sounds like the output location you are selecting is an external folder. Is this correct? Is it also a Java src folder?

Also is your request to be able to output to any filesystem location?

When I attempted to create diagrams from my existing code, I was trying to physically locate the diagrams in a folder called /models under my project root folder adjacent to my Java /src folder.

However, when I started from a diagram and was attempting to generate source code, I was trying to locate it directly in my source code(/src).

When you guys get to where you’re implementing that functionality, I would definitely like to be able to keep any of the UML artifacts with my eclipse project. Every project I have ever worked on has seperated the workspace from the actual project.

Being this is a Milestone, the first one at that, much of this appears to be “stubbed out” and preparing for the actual implementation. I just didn’t fully understand the meaning of Milestone…….sorry ’bout that. I got a little over-anxious.

It’s pretty cool to get a glimpse of the future.

I appreciate the replies.

Thanks, Guys!

Tony Peterson

#233464 Reply

vhendrix

I am using 4.0M2 and I am having a similar problem generating java code. I keep my project files outside of the workspace directory. The only way that I could get my source code to generate was to create a bogus java project to that outputs the source to the workspace dir. I would really like to be able to generate my java source to any source folder in my project whether is was external to the workspace or not. Is this functionality slated for 4.0M3?

#235244 Reply

tarantula
    Participant

@vhendrix wrote:

I am using 4.0M2 and I am having a similar problem generating java code. I keep my project files outside of the workspace directory. The only way that I could get my source code to generate was to create a bogus java project to that outputs the source to the workspace dir. I would really like to be able to generate my java source to any source folder in my project whether is was external to the workspace or not. Is this functionality slated for 4.0M3?

I’m using 4.0M3 and the above problem still exists. It seems you can’t generate Java code from a UML class diagram if your project is located on the file system outside the default Eclipse workspace.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: UML – Generate Java – Possible Problem?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in