facebook

UML Multiplicity Issue

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. UML Development
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

John Hebley

Strict UML requires a Multiplicity indicator on each end of a relationship, ie 1..*, 1, 0..* etc. Only in UML2 is it an option to omit the indicator in the case that it is unary, ie 1. IMHO this is bad practice, especially when teaching novice A&D people as I do. I always insist that they spend time thinking about the relationship and indicate specifically the value. I notice that your UML editor always omits the “1” . I would prefer if this were a user selectable preference – it may be, but I can’t find it.

Not a bug, just annoying.

John

#301837 Reply

support-joy

John,

In Associations and Uni Associations, we can change the 1..* relationship to 1..1 or a desired number by double clicking by the side of the Association line. If you are trying something else, can you please explain in detail about what you are trying and if possible send me screen shots and sample project? You can PM me or send an e-mail to support@genuitec.com. Please mention “Attn: Joy” in the subject line. Also refer this post url in the e-mail.

#301847 Reply

John Hebley

I recognize that I can change the multiplicity to 1..*, 0..4 etc either by selection from the list or typing the value. However, if I insert a value of 1 (one and only one) it does not display. This is an option in the UML 2 specification, but not one I like.

John

#301855 Reply

support-joy

John,

It is possible to show the value “1” for an association. After you enter 1 and press “return” key, it will disappear, but when you again double click on the Association relationship and do the same thing i.e., enter “1” and press “return” key, it will show up as 1. It is similar to 1..1 relationship. I can understand how painful to enter the value twice. I would suggest you to add to the feature request at the following url – https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topics/myeclipse/feature-requests/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: UML Multiplicity Issue

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in