facebook

UML problem

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. UML Development
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

I’ve got problem with UML editor in MyEclipse 4.0M2. When I want to delete some object from model and I click on delete button (or on “Delete form model” in object’s context menu) object disappears from diagram, but it stays in Outline (and in the model).

There was no problem in MyEclipse 4.0M1.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug in UML editor?

#231590 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

This looks like a new bug in this version of the editor. We’ll get a problem report created for it and get it fixed for the next release. Thanks for reporting it.

#231594 Reply

Kapil Kapre

@petr5250 wrote:

I’ve got problem with UML editor in MyEclipse 4.0M2. When I want to delete some object from model and I click on delete button (or on “Delete form model” in object’s context menu) object disappears from diagram, but it stays in Outline (and in the model).

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting this. Could you try closing the editor and re-opening it and see if the deleted elements show up in the outline view / model.

#231598 Reply

@support-kapil wrote:

@petr5250 wrote:

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting this. Could you try closing the editor and re-opening it and see if the deleted elements show up in the outline view / model.

Hi,
    I tried it and deleted elements are still in outline view

#246050 Reply

skeshav

I just wanted to see if this bug has been fixed. I have experienced the same issue (delete elements reappear while generating code) in 4.1 GA release. It is really frustrating so if someone has any update on this bug I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    Keshav

#246068 Reply

Kapil Kapre

Keshav,
    There are two kinds of delete, one is delete-from-model which is the permanent delete from the UMR and the other is delete-from-diagram so if you have the same element in multiple diagrams only the current instance is removed. (If you right click an element you can see the two options) To check if you still have remnants set the outline view to show the hierarchy in package-centric mode and see if any unused classes show up.

#246162 Reply

skeshav

@support-kapil wrote:

Keshav,
    There are two kinds of delete, one is delete-from-model which is the permanent delete from the UMR and the other is delete-from-diagram so if you have the same element in multiple diagrams only the current instance is removed. (If you right click an element you can see the two options) To check if you still have remnants set the outline view to show the hierarchy in package-centric mode and see if any unused classes show up.

I have noted that but the problem still exists.

So just to clarify, when I open a diagram in package centric outline view, I notice classes and associations that have been deleted from the diagram. When I right click on a deleted class there is only one option (“delete from model”). After selecting that option, two things are observed

1. The class still remains in the outline view (but when the package view is collapsed and expanded, the class is removed so I guess this could be a refresh bug)
    2. When I save the umr and regenerate the java code, the deleted class is still generated. I have tried closing umr ( and/or even shutting down eclipse) and reopening the umr but the deleted class still shows up.

I hope this explains the issue.

Thanks
    Keshav

#246181 Reply

Kapil Kapre

Keshav,
    Dou have a step by step way to reproduce this bug? That would help a lot in replicating and getting it fixed. Also if you can mail us your UMR we can get the unwanted elements removed and send the file back to you asap. (email support@genuitec.com with ATTN:Kapil as subj)
    Sorry for the trouble,
    Kapil

#246634 Reply

gdr2

I have the same problem with MyEclipse 4.1GA
    If you need a step by step way to reproduce the problem, I can provide it with a super simple model with just 2 classes:
    1. Create a new Java project
    2. Create a UML Model Repository
    3. Create a class, call it a.
    4. Create a class, call it b.
    5. Link a to b as a uniAssociation
    6. Generate Java code – should be okay
    7. Remove the association from the diagram (not delete it from the model)
    8. Generate the Java code – still the same even though the uniAssociation has been removed from the model (and from the outline)
    9. Link a to b as a uniAssociation
    10. Association shows in the outline and a duplicate is generated in the code.

There appears to be no way of getting rid of the ‘removed’ association since it isn’t in the outline to be able to select it and it isn’t shown on the diagram.

#246640 Reply

Kapil Kapre

gdr2,
    THanks for the replication steps. I was able to reproduce it quite easily. I think since the uni-association edge cannot be dragged back into the diagram the delete from diagram action is unnecessary. For removing the edge, try this: Delete (w/ del key – del from diagram) class a then undo it the uni association is drawn again you can then proceeed to remove it from the model.

#246705 Reply

skeshav

Hi Kapil,

Apologies for not getting back to you earlier. I think gdr2 described the issue well except that it is also true for any element that is deleted from diagram but your solution has worked fine for me.

I have another question about the UML diagram. When I have a class that implements (or realizes) an interface in an UML diagram, the generated jave code for the class doesn’t include the methods from the interface. Is there a way to automatically include these methods?

Thanks
    Keshav

#246716 Reply

Kapil Kapre

@skeshav wrote:

Hi Kapil,

Apologies for not getting back to you earlier. I think gdr2 described the issue well except that it is also true for any element that is deleted from diagram but your solution has worked fine for me.

No Problem, I’m glad that you have it working now. We are currently reviewing the Delete from Diagram option to make sure these issues do not crop up in future versions.
    @skeshav wrote:

I have another question about the UML diagram. When I have a class that implements (or realizes) an interface in an UML diagram, the generated jave code for the class doesn’t include the methods from the interface. Is there a way to automatically include these methods?

Thanks
    Keshav

We currently do not have this functionality however it is on our todo list. I will file your request internally.

Best,
    Kapil

#246727 Reply

gdr2

The more testing I do with the UML editor, the more problems I see.

Are you interested in a long list of the problems I have run into. I think most of them are defects.

It varies from weird behaviour, with work arounds in some cases and in other cases, they are bit like land mines waiting to be stepped on. There are also GUI problems where the size of controls change randomly, in some cases they get much larger and in other cases they get much smaller, and then stay that way until I get out of Eclipse and restart it. I haven’t been able to reliably reproduce those problems, but I could send a screen shot for when they do recur.

BTW, the work around for removing an association from the diagram by doing an undo only works while you are in that session. As soon as you exit Eclipse and return, the ‘phantom’ associations seem to be hidden somewhere that they can no longer be accessed from, and therefore can not be deleted from the model.

If you want I can outline a step by step process to demonstrate the problem.

#246728 Reply

Kapil Kapre

@gdr2 wrote:

Are you interested in a long list of the problems I have run into. I think most of them are defects.
    I haven’t been able to reliably reproduce those problems, but I could send a screen shot for when they do recur.

We always welcome constructive comments that help us improve product quality, you can list them out here or email them to support@myeclipseide w/ ATTN: Kapil as subj.
    @gdr2 wrote:

If you want I can outline a step by step process to demonstrate the problem.

Please do so.

Thanks,
    Kapil

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: UML problem

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in