facebook

Unable to instantiate XML Editor [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

monocongo

I have lost the ability to edit XML files with MyEclipse. The error message I receive when I double click on one of my *.xml files says this:

Problems Opening Editor
    Cannot open default editor on jboss-web.xml. Unable to instantiate editor: org.xmen.ui.text.XMLTextEditor
    org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Plug-in com.ibm.xmleditor was unable to load class com.ibm.xmleditor.internal.XMLMultiPageEditorPart

Can anyone suggest a solution ? What could have caused this ? I can still edit my Java codes so I am hesitant to restart MyEclipse since I am working against a tight deadline and I was recently burned by having MyEclipse disappear on me after a restart, requiring me to reinstall both Eclipse and MyEclipse.

I am running Eclipse 3.0.1 and MyEclipse 3.8.2 on Windows XP.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

–James

#217638 Reply

Riyad Kalla

James,
    Can you open your Eclipse log file (workspace dir)\.metadata\.log and see if there are any exceptions related to this? I’d like to know explicitly what the editor is getting mad about.

#217679 Reply

monocongo

Here’s the exception stack trace from the .log file:

!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.core.runtime 4 1 Oct 14, 2004 10:16:13.975
    !MESSAGE Plug-in com.ibm.xmleditor was unable to load class com.ibm.xmleditor.internal.XMLMultiPageEditorPart.
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.ibm.xmleditor.internal.XMLMultiPageEditorPart
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:404)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.adaptor.core.AbstractClassLoader.loadClass(AbstractClassLoader.java:93)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:235)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.loadClass(BundleLoader.java:307)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.loadClass(BundleHost.java:336)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.loadClass(AbstractBundle.java:1313)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElement.java:131)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElement.java:124)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElement.java:113)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPlugin$1.run(WorkbenchPlugin.java:196)
    at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:69)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPlugin.createExtension(WorkbenchPlugin.java:193)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager$5.run(EditorManager.java:787)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.run(InternalPlatform.java:616)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:747)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.createPart(EditorManager.java:785)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.openInternalEditor(EditorManager.java:772)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.openEditorFromDescriptor(EditorManager.java:582)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.openEditor(EditorManager.java:570)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditorBatched(WorkbenchPage.java:2244)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2177)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.access$6(WorkbenchPage.java:2169)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$9.run(WorkbenchPage.java:2156)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2151)
    at org.eclipse.ui.ide.IDE.openEditor(IDE.java:299)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.javaeditor.EditorUtility.openInEditor(EditorUtility.java:137)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.javaeditor.EditorUtility.openInEditor(EditorUtility.java:110)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.actions.OpenActionUtil.open(OpenActionUtil.java:49)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.OpenAction.run(OpenAction.java:164)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.OpenAction.run(OpenAction.java:150)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.SelectionDispatchAction.dispatchRun(SelectionDispatchAction.java:212)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.SelectionDispatchAction.run(SelectionDispatchAction.java:188)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.packageview.PackageExplorerActionGroup.handleOpen(PackageExplorerActionGroup.java:289)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.packageview.PackageExplorerPart$4.open(PackageExplorerPart.java:490)
    at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$2.run(StructuredViewer.java:429)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.run(InternalPlatform.java:616)
    at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.fireOpen(StructuredViewer.java:427)
    at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.handleOpen(StructuredViewer.java:635)
    at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$6.handleOpen(StructuredViewer.java:731)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.fireOpenEvent(OpenStrategy.java:211)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.access$2(OpenStrategy.java:206)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy$1.handleEvent(OpenStrategy.java:238)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:82)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:796)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:2772)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2431)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1377)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1348)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:254)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:141)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:96)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:335)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:273)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:129)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:185)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:704)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:688)

#217683 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Strange, did your MyEclipse install get corrupt? Do you have a directory at <myeclipse install dir>\eclipse\plugins\com.ibm.xmleditor_13.8.2, does it contain an xmleditor.jar file?

#217690 Reply

monocongo

Yes I do have that directory, but it doesn’t contain the JAR file. Does this mean I’ve lost the JAR file, or was it perhaps never there to begin with ?

I was editing XML files before this happened, so if this JAR is needed for the XML editor then it must have been lost somehow.

–James

#217693 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Wow, I’m not sure how it got lost, but yes this would certainly qualify as being a “corrupt install”. It could be any number of things, but the best thing I can suggest is to grab the Manual Install or rerun the automatic install and have it reinstall MyEclipse to the existing location (make sure you are using the 3.8.2 install if that is the version you aer currently using).

Then shut down Eclipse, add the -clean option to the command line, and start it back up (and you can remove -clean if you want). You should be good to go.

#217822 Reply

monocongo

This fixed me right up, thanks for the help.

–James

#217870 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Glad to hear it.

#218939 Reply

penga

pls allow me to append my msg here, coz i got something similar

[error msg]
    unable to instantiate editor:
    com.objfac.xmleditor.XMLEditor java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
    org/eclipse/ui/texteditor/ExtendedTextEditor

I am running Eclipse 3.0M8 and MyEclipse 3.8.2 on Windows XP
    I have re-installed eclipse(C:\eclipse) & myeclipse(C:\Program Files\MyEclipse), but still got the same error.
    I have this dir C:\eclipse\plugins\com.objfac.xmleditor_2.0.2 with xmleditor.jar file on my PC
    I also have C:\eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.ui.editors_3.0.0 with editors.jar, but this jar doesn’t contain org/eclipse/ui/texteditor/ExtendedTextEditor class file.

Pls give some suggestions to fix the problem.

-penga

[log file attached]
    !SESSION Nov 05, 2004 12:02:58.62 ———————————————-
    eclipse.buildId=I200406251208
    java.version=1.4.2_04
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.runtime 4 2 Nov 05, 2004 12:02:58.62
    !MESSAGE Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: “org.eclipse.core.runtime”.
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/ui/texteditor/ExtendedTextEditor
    at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
    at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Class.java:1610)
    at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:1922)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:278)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:261)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElement.java:141)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElement.java:124)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElement.java:113)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPlugin.createExtension(WorkbenchPlugin.java:189)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager$5.run(EditorManager.java:790)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.run(InternalPlatform.java:615)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.createPart(EditorManager.java:788)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.openInternalEditor(EditorManager.java:775)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.openEditorFromDescriptor(EditorManager.java:585)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.openEditor(EditorManager.java:573)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditorBatched(WorkbenchPage.java:2201)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2134)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.access$6(WorkbenchPage.java:2126)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$9.run(WorkbenchPage.java:2113)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2108)
    at org.eclipse.ui.ide.IDE.openEditor(IDE.java:299)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.javaeditor.EditorUtility.openInEditor(EditorUtility.java:137)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.javaeditor.EditorUtility.openInEditor(EditorUtility.java:110)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.actions.OpenActionUtil.open(OpenActionUtil.java:49)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.OpenAction.run(OpenAction.java:164)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.OpenAction.run(OpenAction.java:150)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.SelectionDispatchAction.dispatchRun(SelectionDispatchAction.java:212)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.SelectionDispatchAction.run(SelectionDispatchAction.java:188)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.packageview.PackageExplorerActionGroup.handleOpen(PackageExplorerActionGroup.java:289)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.packageview.PackageExplorerPart$4.open(PackageExplorerPart.java:490)
    at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$2.run(StructuredViewer.java:429)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.run(InternalPlatform.java:615)
    at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.fireOpen(StructuredViewer.java:427)
    at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.handleOpen(StructuredViewer.java:635)
    at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$6.handleOpen(StructuredViewer.java:731)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.fireOpenEvent(OpenStrategy.java:211)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.access$2(OpenStrategy.java:206)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy$1.handleEvent(OpenStrategy.java:238)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:82)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:796)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:2772)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2431)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1377)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1348)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:254)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:141)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:96)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:335)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:273)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:129)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:183)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:644)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:628)

#218940 Reply

penga

ok, folks,
    I removed the eclipse and myeclipse folders and did a fresh installation, it is working now!

#218943 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Glad to hear it, sometimes the configs can get a little mixed up and it really manifests itself strangely.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Unable to instantiate XML Editor [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in