facebook

updated to 3.8.4

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Java EE Development (EJB, JSP, Struts, XDoclet, etc.)
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

yukster

Upgraded to version 3.8.4 and was extremely disappointed to see that none of the spastic behavior of the jsp editor has been addressed… like, when typing in a jsp file, the strobing annotation markers and flickering error underlines and attempting to label all of the rest of the file with every possible error. I wish I could get a screen shot of the “error report” tooltip I get when hovering over the right margin while it’s in this state… it fills my entire monitor!!!

Anyway, it would really really really be nice if myeclipse could dig into the jsp editor and start fixing some of this stuff… I mean you could at least put some code in to make it stop reporting errors if it reaches a maximum number… or have it not report errors past the current line.

#224551 Reply

Riyad Kalla

yukster,
    Can you right click on your JSP file, select “Open With” and tell me which editor has the black dot next to it? I *know* the behavior you are describing, it was the same freak-out behavior the WTP initial contribution release had, but we simply have not seen that in MyEclipse… I don’t even think we should ship it if we did and I use it every day (I know I would be complaining until the developers fixed it if that was the case).

Can you describe some of the metrics of your computer specs, your Eclipse version, additional plugins you have installed, your project size maybe and your arguments you use to start MyEclipse? Maybe that will shed some light. I’m on a P4-2.4 512MB here, using -Xmx256m on startup args.

#225056 Reply

yukster

Hey, sorry I didn’t get back sooner… forgot to check the “notify me” box and spaced this out…

When I right click on a jsp and chose “open with”, the selected editor is “MyEclipse JSP Editor”. I don’t have any other j2ee plugins installed (lomboz, IBM-WTP, etc.). I’m (unfortunately) on my work laptop: a Dell Latitude with a PIII 800 and 512 MB RAM. My eclipse vmargs are “-Xms128M -Xmx256M”.

Can’t imagine the hardware/vm settings would affect this… but what do I know. I could see having another plugin installed causing a conflict, but that’s not the case.

…..

Well, I did some experimenting and here’s some thoughts… My JSPs aren’t complete HTML files (they’re included into a main template that makes the basic layout), so I get warnings on a lot of html elements when unless I have “jsp” in the list of “JSP fragment file extensions” (under JSP prefs). However, if I do this, I don’t get any error warnings at all… not even java compliation errors.

Now, the slew of html warnings isn’t so bad, and I do get a single error underline if I type a syntax error in a java block. However, when I open a new JSP block things get spastic… seems like it’s reanalyzing the file over and over and has to redraw all the html warnings as well as any new errors… which are generally useless errors until I finish typing anyway!

Well, it seems like my two suggestions out of all this would be: try to figure out how to configure the JSP editor to ignore the HTML warnings (the JSP fragement setting) without losing all error reporting as well. And, maybe it would make sense to have the checking for errors in a JSP block only occur once the closing %> was typed. Don’t know if that’s a big pain, but it seems like it would solve the over-analyzing problem.

#225059 Reply

Riyad Kalla

so I get warnings on a lot of html elements

Make sure you have HTML Validation turned off.

unless I have “jsp” in the list of “JSP fragment file extensions” (under JSP prefs). However, if I do this, I don’t get any error warnings at all… not even java compliation errors.

Right, you don’t want to do this.

seems like it’s reanalyzing the file over and over and has to redraw all the html warnings as well as any new errors… which are generally useless errors until I finish typing anyway!

That is exactly what “it” is doing, that “it” being the JSP reconciler. We currently don’t have a way to turn it off, but will be adding one in a future release that should take care of this issue for you completely. We appologize for this PIA behavior.

#225063 Reply

yukster

I checked and I did have HTML validation turned off. Tried turning off JSP validation, but I still get the warnings.

Thanks for the explanation. Looking forward to JSP fixes in future versions… that, and hopefully just using struts and/or taglibs in my next project.

#225067 Reply

Riyad Kalla

that, and hopefully just using struts and/or taglibs in my next project.

Why can’t you use Struts or Taglibs?

#225069 Reply

yukster

project requirements… and what’s funny is there’s talk of rewriting these JSPs with taglibs in the next phase of the project anyway… oh, well… as long as it pays. 🙂

#225133 Reply

henk

Aren’t these exactly the same problems as reported in:

Erratic behaviour in JSP editor:
    https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/erratic-behaviour-in-jsp-editor/&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

and

frustration with the release 3.8.1GA & 3.8.1+QF20040825
    https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/frustration-with-the-release-3-8-1ga-amp-3-8-1-qf20040825/

and

Stability first, features second!
    https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/stability-first-features-second/

?

#225138 Reply

Riyad Kalla

henk,
    Yes the erradic reconciler is the culprit in most all those threads (And this). As I mentioned we are working to make it optional in a future release so if you did encounter erradic behavior, you could just switch it off.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: updated to 3.8.4

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in