facebook

What’s the difference between the 1st and 5th download?

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Steve Prior

What’s the difference between what comes in the first and fifth items on the download page? When I saw “manual install” I was hoping it was Pulse free, but having downloaded it that doesn’t seem to be the case.

#297454 Reply

Paolo Denti

if you want a pulse free installation, use the fourth download and then install myeclipse from inside eclipse using the just downloaded local update site

#297462 Reply

support-joy

Thanks Paolo.

Sprior,
    To answer what is the difference between the 1st and 5th download option – all in one installer is an exe. It comes with the base eclipse installation. That is you have to launch the installer, follow the steps and when done MyEclipse is ready to be launched and used. Whereas manual install is a zip and its an eclipse extension. You will need a base eclipse install on which you need to add the myeclipse extension. As paolo mentioned, you need to use the 4th option.

#297549 Reply

Steve Prior

Sorry to be dense about this, but I used the 5th download option (Manual installs 7.1.1) and unpacked the zip file, then launched eclipse.exe and it LOOKS to me like MyEclipse is already installed and I don’t see Pulse anywhere. If I pick Help -> Manage MyEclipse Plugins it tells me that “MyEclipse Dashboard is only available from a full version of MyEclipse” which I’m guessing is the scary way of telling me that I’m Pulse free.

So it appears that the 5th download contains both Eclipse with MyEclipse already mixed in, but without Pulse, but when someone asks for just such a thing they’re being told to install Eclipse separately and then download/install option 4. I understand that for either option 4 or 5 I need a JRE already installed, but that’s fine with me.

What am I misunderstanding here – is there something else missing from option 5? Why are people being told to use option 4 when option 5 seems to fit the bill? Does option 5 still have Pulse there and I’m just missing it?

#297593 Reply

Loyal Water

sprior,
    Sorry for the confusion.
    The 5th download option (the new Manual Installs) *is* the Pulse-free version of MyEclipse, all we did was pre-combine the Eclipse Classic SDK and MyEclipse into a pre-configured download, and put it up there for folks. Its exactly what you are looking for.

#4 – Archived update site: This is just the update site of MyEclipse features, it contains no Pulse.

#5 – Manual Install: This is a combination of Eclipse Classic SDK and #4 (update site) pre-configured to run after you unzip it. No Pulse.

I hope that clears things for you.

#297594 Reply

Steve Prior

Thanks nipun, that’s what I figured, I was confused because support was still recommending option 4 for Pulse free when #5 sounded like an exact match. I think that #5 is going to get real popular once word gets out.

Do you still recommend JDK1.5 as the environment to run MyEclipse itself in (even though you have newer JREs to run your actual project in), or has that restriction been lifted and newer JREs are now fine?

#297599 Reply

Loyal Water

Do you still recommend JDK1.5 as the environment to run MyEclipse itself in (even though you have newer JREs to run your actual project in), or has that restriction been lifted and newer JREs are now fine?

I would suggest you stick with 1.5 for now. Our next release (7.5) would be tested with 1.6 as well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: What’s the difference between the 1st and 5th download?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in