facebook

What’s the level of commitment for Matisse4MyEclipse?

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Matisse/Swing UI Development
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

kvancamp

I am considering using Matisse4MyEclipse on a major Swing project, and am trying to guage the level of commitment within the MyEclipse team for future support of the product. A lot of this has to do with how difficult it is for MyEclipse to fold new NetBeans releases into MyEclipse. If you’ve got a process to reintegrate the NetBeans code fairly easily, then I’m sure it will not be difficult for you to keep up with releases. On the other hand, if it requires a major effort, then I’m sure it won’t happen often.

I browsed this forum, and for instance there’s been a discussion thread going on for a year now about how M4M is not supporting ResourceStrings despite the fact that NetBeans has had this support for some time: https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/no-support-for-lt-resourcestring-gt/

Since the discussion shows some statements that M4M was planning to do a major Matisse release and this apparently never happened, it gives me the impression that reintegration of NetBeans code is a major project for MyEclipse.

I’m not trying to flame the MyEclipse team – you guys put out a great product. I’ve tested the Matisse module and it seems to work fine for me. But I understand that resources are not unlimited, and there’s only so much you can do.

So let me put this in the form of 2 concrete questions that can address my concerns:

1. In what MyEclipse release is the next major reintegration of Matisse scheduled to happen, and what NetBeans release number do you plan to synch up at?
    2. Can MyEclipse provide a plan to do releases at some regular interval (annually would be great) when the latest NetBeans code will be reintegrated into M4M?

I’m not expecting a firm commitment on #2, just a statement from project managers that this is a long-term plan. I would, however, like a more firm commitment on #1 than the folks on the above discussion thread got.

#307155 Reply

Brian Fernandes

kyancamp,

With every integration of Matisse in ME, we have made the integration process easier, but by no means is it a “drop-in and go” deal yet.

1) Next Matisse refresh – most likely MyEclipse 9 or 9.1 – will consider the most stable version of Matisse available at that time for the integration.
    2) An annual re-integration of Matisse is definitely on the cards unless there are technical reasons which prevent us from doing so.

With regards the ResourceString support, I have put that on my team’s list for immediate research. Time permitting it will make the 8.6 release due in May, but I cannot promise this.

I appreciate your questions (and understanding) on this topic, thanks for taking this up.

#307231 Reply

kvancamp

Thanks Brian, this answers all my questions.

Ken

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: What’s the level of commitment for Matisse4MyEclipse?

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in