facebook

What Servers to Use for OSX?

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

webbd

I’m just getting started with Eclipse and MyEclipse. I’ve installed Eclipse 2.1.x and MyEclipse 2.7.1 on OSX 10.3 and they seem to be installed okay.

Now do I need to download a server that runs servlets & JSPs, and also a server to run EJBs? From reading other posts here, it sounds like I need Tomcat for the servlets & JSPs and JBoss for the EJBs. Is that right? If so, what versions of these servers should I get so they will be most compatible with MyEclipse 2.7.1?

When I develop a web app that includes servlets and/or EJBs, do I just use the Apache server that comes as part of the OSX OS package as my web server (in conjunction with Tomcat and JBoss)?

-Dennis Webb
    dwebbbusiness@earthlink.net

#206382 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Dennis,

Good questions. Yes, you do need to download and install whatever server you want to use with MyEclipse. If you’re doing straight webapp development with servlets/JSPs and no EJBs, Tomcat 5 works great on the Mac and will allow you to debug your JSP’s at the source code level. Since you’re just starting out, I’d suggest that you begin there and by having a look at the visual tours available on our Tutorials and Demos page here: http://myeclipseide.com/ContentExpress-display-ceid-16.html

do I just use the Apache server that comes as part of the OSX OS package as my web server (in conjunction with Tomcat and JBoss)?

No, you wouldn’t. Apache is a highly optimized server for static content but really doesn’t help you when you’re building and deploying JSP’s and servlets. Just running your entire application in Tomcat will keep things simple and get you started quickly.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: What Servers to Use for OSX?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in