facebook

Where is the Regular 6.5 Download?

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

gcstang

Pulse doesn’t allow me to add a few plugins that I’ve used for years which include Log4e and eclipse2ant to name a few.

I’ve tried using the link folder in numerous locations with the Pulse install but the plugins don’t seem to get picked up is this a limitation of the Pulse installer?

Is the full download version of MyEclipse 6.5 available without use of Pulse or having to perform an update via a web server with the Archived Update?

Thank you,

#286414 Reply

Loyal Water

The All in One installer is available on our download page. You will have to Accept the agreement before proceeding:-
    http://www.myeclipseide.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=dl_options

#286429 Reply

gcstang

@support-nipun wrote:

The All in One installer is available on our download page. You will have to Accept the agreement before proceeding:-
    http://www.myeclipseide.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=dl_options

There is no All in One for Linux, however so what is the alternative?

#286547 Reply

gcstang

Anyone?

#286562 Reply

Loyal Water

Im sorry I didn’t know you were on Linux. In that case, the only way to go about things would be either to use pulse or to use the archive update.

#286596 Reply

gcstang

Will MyEclipse no longer support the Manual Install such as MyEclipse_6.0.1GA_E3.3.1_ManualInstall.zip ?

#286601 Reply

Diederik

@gcstang wrote:

Will MyEclipse no longer support the Manual Install such as MyEclipse_6.0.1GA_E3.3.1_ManualInstall.zip ?

I second that motion. I like the manual install.

I already have JDK 1.5 and Eclipse 3.3 so I see no need to download them all again.

I installed MyEclipse 6.5 on my work Linux laptop with Pulse, but I didn’t get an icon for starting eclipse/MyEclipse. Only the Pulse explorer (all 3 menu items were double too). When I do that it keeps bugging me about registering (I mean fsck up!). And when I tried to use it at work, where I don’t have an internet connection, I was left on my own 🙁
    And OMG it takes forever to start eclipse up through Pulse. I need to work too you know.
    Fortunately I found the eclipse program so I could still start it, but seriously WTF.

So far I’ve tried pulse 6 times with a total of 1 succesful install.
    Every time it downloaded everything. Why? It already did so the previous time.
    And the internal browser doesn’t work, which I did get to work with the manual install of 6.01.

Please stop pushing Pulse down my/our throat(s). I don’t want it and most of the time it doesn’t work either.

/end rant

#286606 Reply

I’ve tried several times to install with pulse and each time the process starts over from scratch, downloading all the files that I already have on my hard drive, taking 15-30 minutes, and failing with an assortment of error messages. When the installer tells me that *aspphp*–or whatever archive is not found–I would like to be able to download just that piece. If I have to try again, at a very minimum I expect that the downloader will keep track of what it already has.

Pulse is failing–and not handling its failures responsibly.

#286618 Reply

gcstang

I have to agree with the others, it seems that Pulse is being forced down our throats and when it works it’s o.k. but it definitely is not the end all be all of setting up this application.

This process forces us to have to download the whole application for every single machine and custom configuration is a beast unless we want to shell out more money to customize the install, either way the download is huge if setting up multiple machines.

I’d really appreciate getting back our Manual Install.

#286641 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Guys,
    Let me address everyone’s concerns and make a few notes to hopefully clarify this a bit:

* The manual install is gone; the reason for this is because linked folders are going away in Ganymede so we want to “wean” users off this mode of installation. The Archived Update Site tends to work better and is easier for most folks to use, so that’s the new ubiquitous install for every platform or custom configuration.

* Pulse is stabilizing quite a bit on a weekly basis with new builds going out at least once a week. We are really sorry about the annoyances though and understand that a busted installer more or less makes you want to kick a hole through your monitor, that’s why we provide the archived update site and All in One installer (for Windows).

* When Pulse installs a profile, for KDE/Gnome/Windows and Mac it will create shortcuts for you when you run the profile for the first time. These shortcuts, if they aren’t created for whatever reason, just point to the individual eclipse executable that is placed in the Software’s “Install” directory. So to relaunch that profile you don’t have to keep firing up the Explorer, you just run the executable that is placed in the profile’s install directory.

* If you just want to use the Free version of Pulse, there are a few ways you can install software locally only and not need the Freelance version of Pulse. One way is to drop the plugins/features right into the /addons directory created under the profile you are running (more info: http://www.jroller.com/page/pulse?anchor=but_what_if_i_don) and the other way is to go to the Help Menu, an under Software Updates select Add Software and then specify that you want to do an unmanaged/local install. The wizard will walk you through adding that software. Sorry if this isn’t clear from the get-go, we are working on improving documentation, screencasts, etc.

* As far as shoving Pulse down anyone’s throat, we honestly aren’t trying to force anyone into anything, if that was our goal we’d just nix all the other installs and make everything Pulse only and then kill a puppy. The reason we are pushing the Pulse-optimized installers at all from the install page is because it’s a heck of a lot faster and more resillient than the InstallShield installer. It’s a smaller initial download so the chances of corruption especially behind corporate firewalls or proxys is much lower and the multi-threaded download can saturate most internet connections by hitting up to 4 or 5 separate mirrors at once for individual files. We just find most folks think it’s an easier install experience.

* As for the comments that Pulse re-downloads everything time after time after time, that was a bug we had with Pulse 1 which is based on a completely different technology stack, are you sure you are using Pulse 2? Pulse 1 was the one that poped up the floating splash screen that had the single status bar across it (like Eclipse) and then faded into the splash screen of whatever product you were launching… and when you tried to launch shortcuts created for you, it relaunched Pulse 1… if you are seeing that, then you are using Pulse 1 and need to head back to http://www.poweredbypulse.com and grab the Pulse 2 client. (Pulse 2 creates stand-alone eclipse.exe installs for each profile so there is an actual EXE that runs, Pulse 2 doesn’t startup when running profiles directly anymore so it’s just like running a local install).

I hope that helped… if anyone has more questions let me know. Also we just did a new build of Pulse last night if anyone was having issues, hopefully they are cleared up.

#286665 Reply

gcstang

Can the Archived version be used without a prior MyEclipse already installed or do you have to at least have the Manual Install of 6.0.1 in order to use it to get to 6.5?

#286671 Reply

Mike Suiter

I too tried to install ME 6.5 via Pulse and had nothing but problems. After losing 2 days of work, I decided to just do the old way. It seems every time Pulse encounters a problem, it leaves your Eclipse environment in an unrunnable state.

#286672 Reply

Riyad Kalla

gcstang, Yes you can do a clean install using the Archived Update site, just do a 3.3 Classic install of Eclipse, then point the update manager at it, viola!

#286673 Reply

Riyad Kalla

msuiter,
    I didn’t quite get what you mean. Pulse doesn’t touch or even re-use any existing installs of Eclipse on your PC… so for example if you had Eclipse installed, MyEclipse installed and then downloaded and tried Pulse and it blew up, you can just remove it. It uses it’s own plugin cache directory, metadata information/etc to install and run the software you configure profiles with.

Unless you mean that Pulse killed an existing provisioned profile? I haven’t seen that happen before because it usually can either not provision it (due to incompatible selections) or and update site is down… in that case you can always still launch using the shortcut or the eclipse.exe dropped into the profile install dir to circumvent any Pulse Explorer validation routines (like checking the update sites that might be down).

#286675 Reply

gcstang

Thank you Riyad

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
Reply To: Where is the Regular 6.5 Download?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in