facebook

Why are updates unsigned?

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Brice Ruth

Is the warning message about an update being unsigned a bug in Eclipse or is it just that Genuitec hasn’t taken the trouble to get an SSL code signing certificate to sign the updates?

If its the latter, please do so. It just doesn’t come off as very professional to the PHBs when messages like this pop up! Certs cost about $150 from Thawte, which should be sufficient.

Thanks!

#224078 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Actually, we already have SSL certs, it’s simply a matter of not incrementing the signing into our build process yet due to resource constraints.

#250829 Reply

Jeff Fiedler
    Participant

I would also like to encourage your company to put signing into the build process for your updates as soon as you can. The update facility of eclipse is an easy way to allow developers to keep up-to-date. However, warning dialogs raise concerns for both the developer and people from corporate security about the integrity of the update package.

#250840 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

I think understand your point, but I don’t believe the Eclipse platform updates are signed either. Do these raise the same concerns, or are we different somehow?

#250980 Reply

Jeff Fiedler
    Participant

Yes, I have the same security/integrity concerns with the eclipse updates. However, you are different as a commercial vendor of a product. As your customers, we can express our desired features and changes for you product and you can decide if its worth doing. I was merely letting you know that at least two of your customers would like to see your updates signed for the reasons stated above.

#251026 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

I’ve added an enhancement request for the MyEclipse 5.0 timeline for signed updates. Thanks for the feedback!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Why are updates unsigned?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in