facebook

You are doing it again! (disappointed *LINUX* user)

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Brian Wallis

In your 4.1 M2 release:

New fully integrated client-side JavaScript Debugger (Windows Only) with ability to Set and step through (into, over and to end) JavaScript breakpoints.

And I still don’t have the web designer: Linux verison of Visual HTML Designer – when?

What gives? Is myeclipse becoming a windows only tool. I’m sure there was nothing about linux versions being crippled in the license or features listed when I bought my license upgrade.

Not happy! 👿

#243378 Reply

Another milestone, another Windows-only feature.

::sigh::

I realize the business benefit to satisfying the majority of users, but every feature that gets shoehorned in without mutli-platform support makes MyEclipse less atractive as a development platform.

While we primarily use Windows for development, we are using Mac OS X and Linux more and more, therefore I will not standardize on a tool that does not support all three platforms. If I wanted to tie myself to Windows, I’d program in .NET 😉

I think MyEclipse is a terrific product and I will continue to support it for the foreseeable future, but I hope the trend of adding a Windows-only feature with each new release does not continue.

#243379 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Brian,

It’s correct that 4.1M2 is Windows-only on the JS debugger. However, the current plan is to have that functionality available on Linux in 4.1 and on the Mac shortly thereafter. There is simply a native portion to the implementation that was necessary and it has to be ported to each platform. Now that we’ve done the proof of concept on Windows and solidified the API’s, we’ll begin working on the Linux port and then the Mac version.

And I still don’t have the web designer

You’re correct. There’s still no WYSIWYG HTML designer for Linux and the Mac. We’ve been working on the Linux version for awhile but it’s still in R&D. It’s taking longer than we’d like to work out the issues, but we’re continuing to press on with it.

What gives? Is myeclipse becoming a windows only tool.

Certainly not. Our intent is to always support three platforms, but the timing may not perfectly coincide in the cases where we use native technology. With native code we’ll always do it on Windows first because that’s what we’re most familiar with and where 80% of our user base lives. But, we always launch internal projects to close the platform gaps as soon as we get the APIs finalized.

I’m sure there was nothing about linux versions being crippled in the license or features listed when I bought my license upgrade.

I don’t think I’d agree with the term ‘crippled’, but we’re certainly not trying to mislead anyone. For example, we do point out on the News & Updates page in the 4.0.3 GA announcement which features are ‘Window only’ or ‘Windows & Linux only’. Add in the 4.1M2 New & Noteworthy we also point out that the JS debugger is ‘Windows only’. However, if we’ve made a mistake on the website and not properly attributed a feature correctly and caused some confusion, we’d appreciate a link to it so we can be sure it’s corrected.

Not happy!

I’m sorry about that, but it’s not our intention to upset anyone. Given our price point we simply have to keep a relatively small development team and have to prioritize the work we do since we just don’t have enough people to dedicate several to everything we think is a good product addition.

#243496 Reply

jjohnst

Thats great to hear you are going to get the Javascript debugger working for other platforms. At work I use Windows, but at home I only use Linux (do not even own or have a copy in the house). Just recently I went out looking for a Javascript debugger and found only two. One was only for .net and other was integrated into IntelliJ (if I remember correctly). Neither one worked for me and it left me wondering why no one has such a thing. I would easily pay for that kind of tool, so it is amazing to hear it is going into a product I already support.

P.S. At work we bought numerous copies of Webspere 6.0 only to discover that it is a terrible product. So we decided to give MyEclipse a shot. We now use MyEclipse and JBoss and then deploy to Websphere for production. We now work much faster and are very happy. Personally at home I use MyEclipse for my open source project and it is so nice to be able to test on so many various containers but do not have to spend any time learning anything about the containers except how to point to the folder and deploy!

Looking forward to using the new features…especially on my Ubuntu box!

-Jeff

#243511 Reply

arjan.tijms

@support-scott wrote:

Brian,
    It’s correct that 4.1M2 is Windows-only on the JS debugger. However, the current plan is to have that functionality available on Linux in 4.1 and on the Mac shortly thereafter.

I really hope that’s indeed what’ll happen. Our entire development team, bar one person, is primarily using Linux. We’re really looking forward to the Javascript debugger. Last year we bought a 7 person group license and hope to renew it for next year. When more and more features become Windows only, we might as well switch to Visual Studio and engage in Windows programming instead of Java.

(ok, the last statement is slightly sarcastic, but I hope you get the point regarding our frustration)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: You are doing it again! (disappointed *LINUX* user)

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in